911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

My mom had cataract surgery but it appears like it isnt helping.

Customer Question

My mom had cataract surgery but it appears like it isnt helping. she seems sensitive to light, but her vision has not improved?
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

How long ago did she have the cataract removed?

Customer:

surgery/ she is blind in one eye, so she just had surgery on the good eye.

911Doctor :

i see

when was the surgery?

Customer:

two and a half years?

Customer:

jan 2010

911Doctor :

okay, when was the last time she saw her Ophthalmologist?

Customer:

jan. she cant sit through the tests

Customer:

he said something like ' we need to keep up the prssure in her eye?"

911Doctor :

then I'm not sure how I can help you except to say that there are two possibilities here.

one is that there is another cataract (they do recur in some)

the other is that there is a new or different problem.

either way, without being able to sit for the tests there is no way to know.

has the doctor offered a sedated exam?

Customer:

no. maybe she needs a new eye doctor?

911Doctor :

if there is a pressure problem in the eye this could well explain the problem.

high pressure in the eye is called 'glaucoma', has this been mentioned?

and it might be time to suggest a sedated exam to her current physician.

Customer:

no mention of glaucoma, she is 'timerol' drops?

911Doctor :

timolol

yes

911Doctor :

this is a glaucoma medicine

Customer:

what is tht for?

Customer:

hmmm.

911Doctor :

the medicine decreases pressure in the eye.

Customer:

what is glaucoma? any remedies?

Customer:

thanks

911Doctor :

this is from the link above

911Doctor :

glaucoma is a group of eye conditions resulting in optic nerve damage and loss of vision. abnormally high pressure in the eye usually causes this damage

911Doctor :

clicking on the link will take you to a good site that explains the disease and how it is treated

911Doctor :

the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that she needs to continue to see the eye doctor, if she isn't happy with her current doctor then it would be reasonable to get a second opinion.

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician