Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hi, I am a 30 year old that has been having a sore throat for

Customer Question

Hi, I am a 30 year old that has been having a sore throat for 2-3 weeks when swallowing and pain upon burping. I have had on and off sinus issues as well during this. I went to my doctor and I had a US of thyroid (which was normal) and neck. The doctor said the tests are not of a concern-what do you think.
In the right upper neck there is a small hypoechoic mass measuring 1.3X0.3X0.7 cm most likely a small lymph node.
Additional small bilateral lymph nodes are seen with the largest lymph node on the left side measuring 2X0.8X0.7 cm.

Impression: Presence of small lymph nodes in the neck as described above. A progress ultrasound in about 3 months time is recommended to re-evaluate lymph nodes.

What is your opinion of this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details. I am an ENT too. Do you have any symptoms like nasal bleeding, ear blockade, hoarse voice, difficulty in swallowing? Have you got treatment for acid reflux so far? Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No nasal bleeding, little bit of ear blockade, no hoarse voice or difficulty in swallowing. No treatment ever for acid reflux.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. Sarah i can understand your anxiety about this report but i would like to reassure you that you don't to stress yourself because lymph nodes are only draining structures and they can drain infection or any other process going inside their area of drainage. But the main symptoms of that primary disease process have to there which you don't have. Lastly your scope has been done and it showed nothing, it again confirms that nothing is serious. The swollen lymph nodes like you are having are quite common in people who get recurrent sinus or throat infections. So your reports are not to taken stressfully and just reevaluation as per recommendation is required. As far as your current sore throat is concerned in such cases where there is pain on swallowing and on burping, the likely cause can be acid reflux and for that OTC cap omeprazole 40mg daily can give excellent results. If you feel that your throat gets more sore when you wake up early morning then you should try omeprazole. Lastly avoid eating spicy foods, smoking, alcohol etc. Put extra pillow under your head while sleeping and never sleep just after your meal. Give a break of 2 hours at least. Avoid anything like ibuprofen or naproxen for pain and just take tylenol. To conclude i will say that you need to get treatment for your sore throat and should not be stressed about US report. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks. My question is the lymph nodes large or concerning? What size is normal? I am awaiting to see the ENT...I have to wait 2 weeks because they are booked to get a scope. Do you see patients who c/o of pain in their throat when burping?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. Normally lymph node should be less than 1cm but this is not the only criteria. There are other features which should be considered like shape of lymph nodes, area of necrosis in the nodes etc. For this CT scan is required. In your case specifically the wait and see policy is recommended because you have symptoms of sore throat. Please remember that sore throat is not a feature of cancer. Yes i do see patients in whom there is pain while burping. The case in most of them is acid reflux and In most of them omeprazole helps and that's why i recommended the same to you. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So lastly, you have seen a pt with issues of a sore throat from acid reflux cause the lymph nodes to be this size?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes i have seen. Actually nodes get enlarged because of inflammation of throat. The source of inflammation can be acid reflux or can be infection or anything else.