Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hi. I have have had a sinus infection and am on antibiotics.

Hi. I have have had a sinus infection and am on antibiotics. I also had the flu prior to sinus infection. I have had a sore throat - left side for about ten days. I looked at my throat today and it is quite red on the left side - but has a round painless fleshy throat colred lump - about 1/4" to 1/2" on or near my tonsil - it is round in shape. Should i be worried? Should I go see my doctor? He looked at my throat two weeks ago, so I have to assume it wasn't there then.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

DR HASAN :

Hi

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details.

DR HASAN :

I am an ear, nose and throat specialist and can help you.

Customer:

OK.

Customer:

(-:

DR HASAN :

Is that lump painful?

Customer:

no. - completely painless.

DR HASAN :

you said its painless now but was it painful ever?

DR HASAN :

Is it arising from the tonsil?

Customer:

The other side of my throat is sore now. That side has felt sore on and off the last week - very much like the left side - but less. Only occasionally usually when I wake up - had alot of drainage - phlem

Customer:

that side - means right side - sorry

Customer:

The lump is right side

DR HASAN :

ok

DR HASAN :

just give me a min, let me get some pic for your help.

Customer:

Thank you.

DR HASAN :

http://www.rayur.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Oropharynx.jpg

DR HASAN :

See this pic and tell me about location of lump.

Customer:

On or slightly above the palintine tonsil

DR HASAN :

ok before i answer this i would like to know the treatment you are on for your sinus infection.

DR HASAN :

I want to help you with your sinus infection treatment also.

Customer:

cefdinir 300 2 x Day

DR HASAN :

anything else?

Customer:

was on very high steroids - got pretty bad sinus infection at onset thought the left side top of my head was going to blow up - extremely painful - gone now..

Customer:

This is last day of medicine

Customer:

It has been ten days

Customer:

steroids were for asthsma - bad and flu at same tiem

DR HASAN :

and you don't have any symptom now or you still have any pain, nasal obstruction etc?

Customer:

Blood when I rinse my nose. Still feel a little dizzy. Drainage.

Customer:

blood was on left. then on right

DR HASAN :

Have you seen ENT?

Customer:

saw promary catre for flu asthma 2 weeks ago. got sinus after flu - he precribed over phone. He did look at my throat 2 weeks ago said "looks good". Flue test came back positive

DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input. First of all i am sorry to hear about your problem.

Customer:

Thank you.

Customer:

You are very nice - I appreciate it!!!

DR HASAN :

The lump you have described is not likely to be serious. It can be a cyst on tonsil or can be a follicle or if it is behind the tonsil on posterior wall then it can be a small lymph node secondary to infection.

Customer:

should I go back to my Doctor for additional treatment??

DR HASAN :

Exact diagnosis needs investigation but if you are worried about anything like cancer etc then simply forget it, i give you my words for it.

Customer:

Thank you.

DR HASAN :

I think this is more important aspect of your question so I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations following OTC medicines help my patients.

Customer:

OK

DR HASAN :

1. Xylometazoline nasal spray 2 puffs thrice daily for five days

Customer:

Got it

DR HASAN :

2. Tab Claritin once daily

Customer:

OK

DR HASAN :

3. Steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily.

DR HASAN :

Lastly a home remedy.

Customer:

yes

Customer:

i am big believer in homepathic - love to have home remedy

Customer:

Bad Spelling - sorry

DR HASAN :

One table spoon of black pepper and two table spoons of ginger extract or even more as per your taste in 250 ml of honey.

DR HASAN :

its ok.

DR HASAN :

Mix them to make a solution and take one table spoon of that twice daily.

Customer:

Got it!

Customer:

will do

DR HASAN :

It will take time to start acting but will help you with flu and asthma both.

DR HASAN :

Lastly visit ENT doctor because you need assessment by a specialist.

Customer:

wow! great! I do not normally have ashtma - stayed in hotel under construction goodness knows what was in the air.

DR HASAN :

He may give you some additional treatment but it depends.

Customer:

OK

DR HASAN :

Yes sometime flu aggravates it.

DR HASAN :

Any question?

Customer:

The meeting of two perfect storms - actually thought i was going to bite the bullet. No you have helped me quite well.

DR HASAN :

I am glad to hear this.

Customer:

(-;

DR HASAN :

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to assist you always.

DR HASAN :

:)

Customer:

Thanks Again!

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery