Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

i started levaquin on friday afternoon for pneumonia..i just

i started levaquin on friday afternoon for pneumonia..i just started wheezing yesterday when I exhale..is this normal? it has been intermittent. how long should the wheezing last? would you recommend contacting my doctor/after care line? will the levaquin help the wheezing?

i have an albuterol inhaler that i have used to help..there is no shortness of breath associated with the wheeze.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 1 year ago.
dear customer,

The wheezing may occur in pneumonia due to the inflammation of the airway.Since you have already started antibiotic therapy so its good.

Sometimes the pneumonia may be caused by viral cause and in that case , its body's own immunity which controls the infection.The oral antibiotics may be helpful in controlling secondary bacterial infection in such cases.

You should have the repeat blood test, sputum c/s and chest x-ray done to know the progression of the disease.Sometimes the change in antibiotics may be required.

Let me know if you need any more information

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for your reply..i am still a little unclear by your answer though.

is the wheezing normal?? is it something i should be concerned about? will the antibiotics make it go away? u mentioned a possible change in antibiotics, when should i consider that based on how long the wheezing lasts? if so how long is that?

my dr didn't do a blood test..just ordered an xray which she recommended be redone in 8 weeks.

Expert:  Dr. RK replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,

Yes the wheezing is a normal finding in cases of pneumonia.You should wait atleast 5-7 days and take the complete antibiotics course as prescribed by your doctor.

You should not worry about it but in case you have increased difficulty in breathing then consult the doctor to look for any worsening symptoms and signs.

Your blood counts will help us in telling the response to the therapy.As i said if you are suffering from viral pneumonia then it will go by itself with your body's immunity and antibiotics have less role in such cases.Just have a close watch over your signs and symptoms.

Let me know if you still have any doubt or need any more clarification.

thank you
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice