Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

My ocd and anxiety thoughts constantly make me worry about

My ocd and anxiety thoughts constantly make me worry about my heart when my heart has checked out healthy at the doctors through good cholesterol, normal ekg, normal exercise stress test, calcium coronary study normal. My anxiety makes me stare at an object and hesitate to move either to the left away from it or right away from it. Is hesitating a movement have no effect on heart function? and what can I tell myself to reassure myself that my heart function is separate from my vision function?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Customer:

hello Dr

Dr. Saha :

Hesitating a movement will not affect heart function.

Customer:

I am having trouble with anxiety staring at objects

Dr. Saha :

The vision function is different from heart function.

Customer:

so between the vision function and heart function there is no connection?

Dr. Saha :

The impulses from vision is carried by different nerves.

Dr. Saha :

It will not affect your heart.

Customer:

so when I turn away from object I am fixating on has no effect on heart whatsoever?

Dr. Saha :

As all your EKGs, stress tests are normal, I would suggest not to worry about it.

Customer:

which would be the best formula to tell myself that the heart functions on its own?

Dr. Saha :

You would have normal blood pressure, pulse. There should not be any shortness of breath, chest pain etc. However, in anxiety states you can feel some of those.

Dr. Saha :

Please feel free to ask, if you have any further query.

Customer:

my blood pressure after I exercised was 125/69

Customer:

pulse was a little high 106

Dr. Saha :

It is good. You need not to worry about the level.

Dr. Saha :

Pulse would be higher with exercise.

Customer:

so anxiety can cause high pulse as well?

Dr. Saha :

Yes.

Dr. Saha :

Anxiety can increase the pulse rate.

Customer:

To reassure myself that my heart is fine can I tell myself the heart runs by itself with its own electrical system?

Dr. Saha :

Heart runs by its own mechanism. There are influences from nerves as well.

Customer:

the influences from nerves like from anxiety cannot damage the heart?

Dr. Saha :

No, it would not damage the heart. It can raise the pulse rate which would settle down after the anxiety is relieved.

Customer:

So we don't have to think about how our hearts work because they run on its own mechanism which is electric?

Dr. Saha :

You should not think about it. Worrying about it will cause increased pulse, palpitation etc.

Customer:

So I should just tell myself that the heart works by its own mechanism which is electrical?

Customer:

That way when my staring and anxiety acts up I can tell myself that

Dr. Saha :

You should not think about heart when you stare at an object.

Customer:

that could be my problem why my heart starts to beat fast when staring

Dr. Saha :

Let it act on its own mechanism & not interfere with your nerves.

Dr. Saha :

It is because of anxiety.

Customer:

Aside from exercising and nutrition and rest the heart runs on its own?

Customer:

we do not have to worry about it working because the heart works by itself?

Dr. Saha :

Heart mainly works on its own with influence from nerve. You should not worry much about it.

Customer:

I will remind myself that the heart works on its own and I can control the nerves by not thinking about the heart when staring which I am trying to stop at times?

Dr. Saha :

Yes, please try to control your nerves. It would be fine.

Customer:

When I find myself staring and my heart is beating fast from anxiety is it still safe to move away?

Dr. Saha :

Yes.

Customer:

that would not affect the heart either?

Dr. Saha :

It would not affect heart.

Customer:

so earlier today when I was fixating on a clock and lamp from a distance in the kitchen I told myself no harm will come to the heart and turned to my left and walked away so even if I hesitated that is fine to do?

Dr. Saha :

Yes, it is fine.

Customer:

so in conclusion I should not think about the heart and let it do its own job in the body?

Dr. Saha :

That hesitation would not affect heart.

Customer:

and stop the staring

Dr. Saha :

Yes, you should not think about it at all.

Customer:

the heart you mean?

Dr. Saha :

Yes, I mean heart.

Dr. Saha :

Staring at an object will not affect it.

Customer:

or moving away from it as well?

Dr. Saha :

Yes.

Customer:

and further advice I can use to cope with battling the anxiety?

Dr. Saha :

You need to avoid thinking about heart. This will help to cope with your anxiety. You should think that all your tests are normal.

Customer:

Thank you Dr Saha I am also exercising for one hour every day now

Dr. Saha :

You are always welcome.

Dr. Saha :

That is good to keep you healthy.

Dr. Saha :

Best wishes.

Customer:

Thank you have a good weekend and I will stop worrying about my heart

Dr. Saha :

Good luck.

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr Saha I had a minor obsessive thought as I focused on my neighbors broom he was using as I watched from my window. When you no longer can see the broom after he took inside and I was looking at the broom there is no harm done by just looking at the broom?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
It will not do any harm by looking at the broom. You need not to worry about it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I did not see the broom after he brought it in the house there is nothing to worry about not seeing it either? this was just anxiety focusing again?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
This was just anxiety.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you Dr Saha so I should just ignore it and not worry?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
You are always welcome.

You should not worry about it.

Please try to relax.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could you answer new question I posted Dr?