Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician

Hello, I am experiencing a few symptoms and wanted to get your

Hello, I am experiencing a few symptoms and wanted to get your opinion. I was having horrible allergies about 3 weeks ago then I went on a trip to Africa for 2 weeks. Came back a few days ago and my allergies immediately started back up with runny nose, scinus pressure, stuffy nose, etc. I have also been feeling incredibly fatigued almost to the point where my eyes start closing when I am sitting in a chair however that very well could be jet lag from the 39 hours of traveling and 8 hour time difference. Yesterday morning when I woke up my throat hurt very badly and didn't get better all day. Today, my throat still hurts but not as bad however I have been coughing very badly all day. If I take very very shallow breaths I don't have any problems with coughing at all however if I take a normal breath or a deep breath I start immediately coughing very badly. However it is a dry cough. A little bit of green mucus comes up but its not much at all and only every now and then. When I breathe in deeply I can hear my throat make almost a wheezing sound and I can feel my chest is tight. Before I left, my doctor gave me a prescription for Amoxicillin TRK to take on my trip just in case I got sick in Africa. I started taking that this morning as I am very rapidly going down hill. I wanted to see if I am alright to wait to see my doctor on monday or if I should see someone sooner etc. I feel just absolutely miserable and I am much worse today than I was yesterday which was worse than the day before. Thank you.
Welcome here and thank you for your question.
I am Dr.Robert & will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

Do you have sore throat now?
Is there running nose?
Do you have fever?

I am waiting for your reply.
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My throat is very sore right now. Although I have been using the chloraseptic spray which numbs it so it doesn't hurt as badly. Yes my nose has been running all day and its going down my throat and I have gone through about 3 boxes of tissues. Although while my nose is completely runny one second, it is stuffed up the next with pressure right under my eyes. I just checked and my fever is 99 however I just finished drinking about 2 bottles of water not sure if that makes a difference. Thank you.

Thank you for providing quick additional info.

Although most of sore throats are caused by viral infections.But this can also be bacterial like strep throat.It is the most common bacterial cause of sore throat.It is caused group A Streptococcus bacteria.

Your symptoms can be due to bacterial infection.The sinuses become congested and can become infected, a condition called sinusitis.It usually occurs after a cold due to bacteria and viruses infecting the lining of the sinuses.

You need following tests:

-Transillumination (shining a light through the sinuses)

-A throat swab

-Rapid test is required to rule out/diagnose strep infection

-Culture & sensitivity test.

As you have started taking the antibiotic now,Amoxicillin TRK, it may take 12-36 hours to show its action & improve your symptoms.

Neti pot will help you greatly .It is done for nasal irrigation & to clear away crusting in the nasal passages.

Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.

Take tab.Benadryl.It is anti histamine(anti allergic) & will help you greatly for your relief from symptoms.It is available as over the counter(OTC) without prescription.

If still the symptoms persists or gets worsen,then you need to go to ER for examination & prescription medications accordingly.Usually the symptoms gets improve after 12-24 hours of taking the antibiotic.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your business!

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert