Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

Ive been under a huge amount of stress the past several months

I've been under a huge amount of stress the past several months and have now developed a small area of pressure in one small spot on the left side of my chest. I have no other symptoms and no shortness of breath. It feels pretty constant and seems to worsen when I think about it. I'm a 55 year old female in good health and am on no medications. My blood pressure has been a little high lately when I take it at the pharmacy, but I've chalked that up to stress as it seems to go up an down. Stress?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. Saha :

How was the reading of blood pressure?

Customer:

Hello! A couple of weeks ago it was 135/85 and then 127/80 and this week it was 153/70...however, I had taken Max-Alt for a migraine headache earlier in the day.

Dr. Saha :

Where do you feel the pressure exactly?

Customer:

About three inches to the left of the center of my upper chest.

Dr. Saha :

Does any activity make it worse?

Dr. Saha :

When did the feeling start? How frequently do you feel it? How long does it last?

Customer:

Not really, as a matter of fact, we did a trip to an amusement park last weekend and I (to be a good sport) rode roller coasters. As I type right now it seems like I have a pressure or bubble, but its just in that one spot. This has been going on for several weeks, but my stress has been very high.

Dr. Saha :

Though your pressure is not very high, I would suggest to get an examination by doctor without delay.

Dr. Saha :

Stress can be a factor.

Dr. Saha :

But you need to rule out heart conditions like angina.

Customer:

What would they give me to control angina?

Dr. Saha :

Max- Alt can also cause rise of pressure, ischemia of heart.

Dr. Saha :

They will first check by taking EKG, blood tests, stress tests etc.

Customer:

I had to take one dose twice this week. I have weather related migraines and we've had a lot of major weather swings in the past couple of weeks.

Dr. Saha :

Doctor will then prescribe depending on the severity of the condition.

Dr. Saha :

If you take twice only in a week, then it may not be the only factor here.

Customer:

I'm trying to avoid going to the doctor for this as I'm just changing insurance( from Cobra-- I was downsized from a job last year) and didn't want any pre-existing conditions as I'm qualifying for a new policy.

Dr. Saha :

I would suggest to take an examination in ER or an urgent care..

Dr. Saha :

Though you do not have any pre existing condition, but this symptom should not be ignored.

Dr. Saha :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Dr. Saha :

If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know.

Customer:

Now my stress factor will really go through the roof. If I do go to an ER or doctor it will become a pre existing condition. If I have to do this, I would rather call my own doctor the first of the week.

Dr. Saha :

Please do not take so much stress. Though it may turn out to be stress, but we need to be careful & should take an examination asap.

Customer:

Thank you. I will call my doctor on Monday and she'll get me in quickly.

Dr. Saha :

You are always welcome.

Dr. Saha :

If symptoms continue, I feel you should not wait till Monday. If possible avoid Max-Alt.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience