Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

hello, what can cause your right arm to feel like a dull achy

hello, what can cause your right arm to feel like a dull achy feeling, I woke up this morning with this and thought maybe I slept wrong, but its from my shoulder to my fingertips and its been 7 hrs now
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

This might be due to a pinched nerve in your neck. This can either be temporary from pressure on the nerve while sleeping. But again it can also be due to a pinched nerve from degenerative changes of the neck bones (cervical vertebra) compressing the nerves.

I would advise you to massage the area. But you may need an X ray of the neck to exclude cervical spondylosis.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so this would not be heart related as my sister has suggested

Heart related pain is mostly referred to the jaw, upper arm and may be associated with chest discomfort. The pain is usually not referred to far away into the finger tips, which is more likely to be from compressed nerves in the neck.

As I have advised, you should see your GP and get a few basic tests done (considering your symptoms) after a thorough clinical examination. These include: X ray of the neck and EKG. This will help you to narrow down the diagnosis and ask for appropriate therapy.

Thanks for the accept Connie. If you have any new questions for me, please request me as DR. BORA.