Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I have 2 red lines along the base of my penis. What is this?

Well, I had sex 3 weeks ago. She had 1 wart on her vagina (made me worried). I now have 2 red lines (patches) along the base of my penis. Could this be herpes? They don't hurt, or itch. And they don't look like the sack filled bumps in the herpes pictures I saw online. By the way I used a condom. The top part of my penis has had a red bump (pimple) for at least 2 months now. Before having sex 3 weeks ago, my last partner was 3 years ago before that. So that makes me wonder where the 1st red bump came from? I popped it in the shower and looked like a zit. That part was there when I had sex (and was covered with a condom). The base of my penis is what is concerning. Also, I would like to be able to post a picture.

Welcome to Justanswer website. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you have lump or painful blister on the base of penis?

Do you have history of unprotected sex with multiple partners?

Are you on any medications?

Please attach the photo by clicking the paper clip icon. I am waiting for it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

3 years 1 partner. Used a condom for sex with a different person 3 weeks ago. The bump on shaft was there before sex 3 weeks ago. I popped it like a zit. The shaft redness wasn't there before sex - has me worried.

Thanks for all these additional details. I am sorry to hear about your problems. Well, as you had used condom , this would provide some protection against warts, as it has covered her vagina. Though warts can be transmitted even with condom. It is because warts can grow on the surrounding genital skin, not the parts that a condom would cover. Condom can decrease chances of getting STD.

From the picture and with symptoms you have described, it doesn't sounds to be Herpes or STD. These red patches at the base of penis is due to simple friction itself at time of sex. This causes irritation and infection in hair follicles. So I suspect it is a simple bacterial infection. It is common to have such red lines, and usually it would get resolved with antibiotic cream. You should apply triple antibiotic ointment twice a day on affected part for 7-10 days. You should take Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day. No need to panic for Herpes or other serious STD.

Regarding red bump on top of penis, it can arise from sebaceous (sweat) glands. You can apply a warm, moist wash cloth or compress to the affected area 4-5 times a day to relieve discomfort and help the area drain. You can try over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream to the affected area. You should gently wash the infected skin twice a day with antibacterial soap. You can use a clean wash cloth and towel to dry off each time you wash. Kindly follow these measures, and you would be free from symptoms by one week. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. Thank you for your business.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

From the pictures you saw? These don't look like herpes at all? I googled pictures and it looked at least a little similar.

Also could the bacteria infection you described, come 3 weeks later (had sex 3 weeks ago)?

Also, could the wart on the female be a warning to a possible "genital herpes" my partner may have had (or so I thought)?

You said "follow instructions and be symptom free after a week". I told you I didn't have any symptoms (no itching or burning). Did you note this?

Thank you.

I can understand your situation and worry for Herpes. Yes, I have thoroughly reviewed the pictures. In case of primary infection (which occurs for first time) of herpes, one gets painful red blisters that burst to leave open sores around your genitals. It is usually associated with painful urination, high temperature (fever), general feeling of being unwell. Such symptoms may last up to 20 days. In your case, it doesn't seem to be herpes or other serious STD.

Yes, it is possible that infection in hair follicles can come after few weeks of sex. This is a quite common condition, with good prognosis. Genital warts are caused by Human Papilloma Virus (HPV). Genital warts are spread through vaginal, anal, and oral intercourse. Herpes is caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV), and is another STD. These are different viruses. If she didn't have herpes, then you will never get herpes. You would not get herpes from genital warts infected women. For peace of mind, you can get it clinically examined from your doctor. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. Thank you for your business.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"Do my pictures resemble herpes at all?"- because when I googled genital herpes, at least one or two pictures where at least a little similar. Are herpes always red? or can they be pink?

I can understand your situation and worry for Herpes. Pictures during Google search may often confuse one, and can sometimes give a wrong perception for serious issue. As a doctor, I believe that you don't have symptoms of STD or other serious issue. Please don't take stress for Herpes. You are absolutely fine, and please follow measures as advised in previous post. For peace of mind, you can get it clinically examined from your doctor. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance. Thank you for your business.