Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have been having periods of breathlessness especially if

I have been having periods of breathlessness especially if i have been doing physical activities and sometimes just by walking up stairs. Sometimes it feels like I cant fill my lungs. My doctor says its not copd nor asthma and she said I was an enigma mentioned fibrosis and referred me to a chest specialist. what do my symptoms suggest please

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Have you had a CT scan?

Customer:

No I have not had a ct scan

Dr Brims :

What tests have you had?

Customer:

just spirometry

Dr Brims :

You need a CT scan

Dr Brims :

Okay, then it may be pulmonary fibrosis, but you would need more tests to determine the cause, pulmonary fibrosis has no known cause, but it is treated with steroids like prednisone

Customer:

What is a CT scan?

Dr Brims :

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

What is a CT scan?

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

What is pulmonary fibrosis?

Dr Brims :

It is a test like an x ray but better

Customer:

What is pulmonary fibrosis?

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes

Dr Brims :

It shows more than an x ray

Dr Brims :

It is a test like an x ray but better

Customer:

yes

Dr Brims :

It shows more than an x ray

Customer:

what is pulmonary fibrosis?

Customer:

are you still there?

Dr Brims :

yes

Dr Brims :

It occurs when lung tissue becomes damaged and scarred. The thickened, stiff tissue makes it more difficult for your lungs to work properly. As it worsens, you become progressively more short of breath.

In most cases, doctors can't pinpoint what's causing the problem. When no cause is found, the condition is termed idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.

The lung damage caused by pulmonary fibrosis can't be repaired, but medications and therapies can sometimes help ease symptoms and improve quality of life. For some people, a lung transplant is required

Customer:

I know it is difficult for you to answer without scans and results but does it sound likely to be fibrosis? a chesy x-ray was clear although I believe the doctor could hear something on my lungs. Also I passive smoked in a pub environment from the age of 9 to 21

Dr Brims :

There is no way to determine or say if it "sounds" like fibrosis with no tests, the symptoms alone are not enough to come to any conclusion

Customer:

ok thank you for your time

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome