Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

My 18 year old son just had blood test for Celiac. The test

My 18 year old son just had blood test for Celiac. The test came back as abnormal and will have to have an upper endoscopy. His Immunoglobulin A, Qn, Serum was 13 which the test results stated normal range is 91-414. What exactly does this low of a reading mean?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thanks for your question , I am Dr. German and I look forward to helping you until you are satisfied.

The performed tests measures Immunoglobulin A levels , a substance that protects the mucous membranes against infections specially the airways and the digestive tract . There is a big correlation between Ig A deficiency and the development of certain autoimmune diseases like Celiac Disease.

The advantage with this specific type of immunoglobulin deficiency,is that other immunoglobulins including Ig G OR M will completely compensate for that deficiency ,so in general terms, most patients do not need treatment, unless they develop an infection in which case, antibiotics will be prescribed . So you do not worry about those results ,it will not affect him .

With celiac disease , the most important part of the treatment is a no gluten diet . Patients with celiac disease have an immune system that reacts adversely to gluten ,experiencing an immune reaction that damages the gastrointestinal lining cells . With this no gluten diet ,the patient gastrointestinal cells will recover and further damage will be prevented.

He can not eat products like wheat,durum,bulgur,triticale,spelt,rye,farina, flour ,barley and semolina .

If he is experiencing severe symptoms, steroids could be given for a short period of time to alleviate his symptoms .

There is also a book in Amazon ,right now is free so you can have a better idea of what things he can eat and what things he should not eat .

The link is here :

http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Coeliac-Intolerance-Allergies-ebook/dp/B00BF1NCM6

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied .

Good luck to you and have a good day ! When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So, does this mean he does have Celiac? All of the other levels on the test were within normal ranges. Can you have low Immunoglobulin A and not have Celiac?

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
No , having low levels of IgA does not mean he has celiac disease specially if the other tests are normal ,additional tests are necessary to confirm that possibility including performing an endoscopy to visualize the affected stomach or upper intestine tissue and detecting some specific types of antibodies like anti-endomysium and anti-transglutaminase.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD