Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

Low platelets and pain in my side

I've been having a reoccurring pain in my side for the past several weeks, and my doctor can't figure out what it is. I just received the results of my blood test. My platelet count dropped from 158 to 128 K/uL in 3 months. I also had traced lysed blood cells in my POC blood urinalysis. All other blood tests were normal (no anemia - they checked for that once they found the low platelet count). Other symptoms: slightly decreased appetite (eating too much at once makes my side hurt more) and slightly increased thirst. Had an ultrasound done yesterday; the technician didn't see anything abnormal, but haven't received the official verdict on that from my doctor. Gender: Male, Age: 31. Past Medical History: mostly healthy; I take a multivitamin and Vitamin B (per doctor's recommendation after low levels a few years ago), but no other medications. Three months ago, I found out I had low HDL, so since then I've cut out most saturated fat, started eating more whole grains, nuts, and olive oil, and go on short runs 1-3 times per week to try to get some exercise.  What do you think might be causing my symptoms and lab results?  Is there a specialist I should see, since my primary doctor isn't sure what to do next?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question , at your age , the possibility of this being a heart problem is really low . It is something that your doctor will need to investigate ,but it is not the first possibility .

If the pain gets worse after you eat , it is important to investigate if there could be a digestive issue like : gallbladder inflammation,gallbladder stones, pancreas inflammation, stomach or duodenal ulcers, esophageal lining irritation , esophagus spasm, gastritis ( stomach lining tissue inflammation) or gastroesophageal reflux ( in this condition,the stomach acid juices flow back from the esophagus into the stomach ).

Costochondritis ( in this condition ,the cartilage that connects the lower ribs to the breastbone become swollen or inflamed ) could be other possibility .

In case the pain radiates to your upper back , kidney stones could be involved.

To determine what is happening your doctor will need to perform additional tests including : an upper endoscopy ,an abdominal X-rays ,liver function tests , amylase and lipase levels and a chest x-rays .

With these tests and performing a complete physical examination ,he will be able to determine what is happening with you to give you an appropriate treatment.

But try to relax , there is no need to be extremely worried or stressed out . At your age , this is rarely something serious or dangerous.

If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My doctor said I should come back to have the blood and urine tests repeated in a month, in case the low platelet count was just "incidental". It just seems odd, because all of my blood counts were normal when I had my physical 3 months ago. The only thing that's changed since then is my diet (trying to eat healthier because of my low HDL).

Could an issue with the spleen cause these sorts of symptoms?

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.

In most cases , this sudden low platelet count could be caused by an underlying simple viral infection , vitamin B12 or folic acid deficiency . It is important to eat meat ,eggs ,milk in moderation to have adequate levels of vitamin B 12 and folic acid . So right now , what you should do is eating properly , a diet low in fat but rich in vegetables and fruits avoid extreme diets and try to get a good multivitamin supplement .

If the platelet count is still low , your doctor will need to investigate other possibilities from having an enlarged spleen, an autoimmune disorder like an ITP ( in which the immune cells mistakenly attack and destroy your platelets ) or an underlying bacterial infection.

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied .

Good luck to you and have a good day ! When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD