Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

I have a mallet finger Injury on my right 2nd finger. A pin

I have a mallet finger Injury on my right 2nd finger. A pin was put in but an infection occurred that put me in hospital with surgery to drain wound, then to close wound two days later.

Dr said still infected and it did reach the bone. I'm on antibiotics for another 4 weeks. Since it hit the bone I'm pre diabetic managing with diet aren't my options limited and chances of keeping finger looking slim

Dr. R. Bora :

Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Dr. R. Bora :

Can we chat?

Dr. R. Bora :

is there pus draining from the wound?

Dr. R. Bora :

Hello have you entered the chat format?

Dr. R. Bora :

I think you could not get into the chat format, I will switch over to the question adn answer format.

Helo Hal,

If you do not see any any pus draining / oozing from the wound, it is very likely that the antibiotic is doing its job and the finger will look good after it heals.

You have to wait for 4 weeks till you see improvement. Depending on your response (as you are prediabetic), the antibiotic course may have to be extended.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There never has been much puss. but the swelling has returned, it's very red and very painful to the touch. Increase of hand cramps and fatigue.

You think that is normal reaction in recovery process and is aggressive enough treatment, just 4 weeks of Duricef?

I think this is due to infection of bone involving the soft tissues like tendons of the finger.So, this is not normal.

You should get an X ray of the finger and talk to your doctor to find out how the bones and soft tissues are responding to the antibiotic. An MRI may also be necessary at this point to look for the extent of infection into the soft tissues. Depending on the MRI results, antibiotics may needed to be extended for a few more days.

You should get back to the surgeon immediately and convey your clinical symptoms.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Thanks for the accept, Hal.

If you have any follow up or new questions, you can get back to me by requesting me as DR. BORA.