Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

i have asplenic artery aneurysm and no one around here knows

i have asplenic artery aneurysm and no one around here knows what to do about it. I want it rmoved. I had asurgeon that was goingto remove my spleen and the aneurysm but the dy before surgery he cancelled it. Should it be my choice to get it removed. I am a nervous wreck and am about to be put on antianxiety drugs what do i do. I have been told that it is all different sizes. from a 1.1 to a 2.0 i am just at a loss as to wha to do. I have seen 2 vascular doctors and they just tell me to go to emergency room if i have pain. I think i am having symptoms. I have a constant back ache near my shoulder blade and i get a pain in my left upper abdomin. Can you giveme any advice

Endovascular ablation is the treatment of choice for splenic artery aneurysm; especially which are growing in size every year. Usually this does not cause any symptoms; so your symptoms may be due to anxiety or due to other cause like acid reflux. Aneurysm less than 2 cm has very low incidence of rupture; so you may not be worried about the serious consequences. You may consider consulting a vascular surgeon attached to medical school hospital for endovascular ablation. Please read this article about the splenic artery aneurysm management;

J Vasc Surg. 2011 Apr;53(4):958-64; discussion 965. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2010.10.055. Epub 2011 Jan 7.The contemporary management of splenic artery aneurysms.Lakin RO, Bena JF, Sarac TP, Shah S, Krajewski LP, Srivastava SD, Clair DG, Kashyap VS.

Department of Vascular Surgery, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have seen a vascular surgeon attached to a school and nobody knows anything and my pain is not due to any of the stress i went to emergency room and it was discovered because i was having this pain. So you are telling me i dont have symptoms is that correct

Your symptoms are true but you would need further investigative work up as following (if not yet done);

1) Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy
2) HIDA scan for poorly functioning or non functioning gall bladder.
3) CT scan with IV and oral contrast
4) MRI of abdomen.

As we discussed and as you can see the reference resource; the splenic artery aneursym have low incidence of symptoms and the chance of rupture of your size is exceedingly low. So it is quite unlikely to cause an emergency but yes, getting it operated may be advised.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun