Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

I am a 66 year old male.Last year I spent 10 days in hospital

I am a 66 year old male.Last year I spent 10 days in hospital with Legonares deases on release I have had problems walking any great disstance.My right leg and calf is the main problem with it being heavy I tend to drag my right foot after a while. Prior to this I was playing Golf 2/3 times a week I have not had a round of Golf sinse.
Kind Regards
Richard Haddock

Hello and Welcome to Just Answer.
Thank you for the question. Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and I will do my best to find an answer for you.
You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Are you able to bear your weight on the affected leg/calf?

Do you feel any numbness or abnormal sensations in the affected leg?

Do you feel your leg to be "cold" when compared to the other one?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can put weight on my leg, my leg mussles tend go tight but no pain just a minor acke after a while.

I do not have any numbness.

No coldness in either leg.

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you very much for the useful information.

There are few important possibilities i would consider in your case.

First, this can be due to a Neurological problem (neuropathy developing after Legionnaire's disease). Although this is not a common clinical presentation, but this is documented long term effect of legionnaire's disease.

Then circulation issue to the affected leg/muscle might be the problem.

This can lead to reduced exercise capacity of the muscles as well as weakening.

Then we also have to consider any joint related issues in the leg such as arthritis affecting the knee or hip joint (but this remains a least likely possibility).

As you mentioned that your EKG was not good; therefore this needs to be evaluated further by a cardiologist, but i personally do not feel that these current symptoms are directly from your heart.

You should see your doctor, discuss all the details i have mentioned and get a management plan chalked out that suits best to your needs.

An Internist would be of best help for you in this situation and if deemed necessary, he can involve another doctor (such as a Neurologist for Nerve Conduction Studies) in the treatment plan.

And off-course, you would require a cardiologist's consultation as well, for your heart.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service. If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.