Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I have had a recurring issue of itching right above my anus

I have had a recurring issue of itching right above my anus (Not the between the testicles and anus, but above my anus, right where my butt cheeks start). Sometimes it's fine, other times it itches to high heaven, and other times (often when I wipe) it burns. What is going on?! I've tried anti-fungal cream, but that doesn't seem to help. This has been going on upwards of three years.

I'm a 30-year old otherwise healthy male, normal weight, although very tall. Thanks for any insight.

Associated rash,peeling of skin on affected area?

Excessive sweating?

Bumps on affected area?

Blood in stool?

Burning sensation and itching around opening of anus?

Constipation?

Any other medical history?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Doc,

Can't say there was any peeling, and I don't think there was a rash (then again, it's difficult to turn around and see in a mirror)

No on excessive sweating, although I do work in an office for 10 hours a day, so the area does get kind of moist

I have had a few, very rare instances of blood in stool, but I don't think it's related.

No - It's been mostly confined around the area above the anus. I'll say it occasionally feels like itching around the anus, but mostly the area above.

Rare, and presumably unrelated constipation

No other medical history that I would think is related.

Thanks for providing more information.

Well as you describe the area is moist and you have history of prolonged hours of sitting so possible causes may include candida yeast called candidal intertrigo,Dermatitis,pinworm infection(if you have associated itching around anus).

So you need to be seen by your nearby dermatologist/Proctologist for a clinical examination.

In the meantime you can try some self care measures like

Try OTC 1% Cortizone cream + 2% Miconazole cream: mix and apply twice a day over the affected area for 14 days.
Take Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day for 7 days and then once a day for 7 days more
Keep the area as clean and dry as possible.
Zeasorb-AF powder (Clotrimazole) for dusting: i.e. apply over the affected area before wearing your undergarments. Continue for 4 weeks.

Avoid prolonged hours of sitting and take short breaks.

As you have a recurrence,I would recommend getting your blood sugar levels checked as Diabetes is a common cause of recurrent intertrigo.

As this area is prone for the fungal infections so further confirmation can be done by a culture / swab taken from the area.

And specific medication can be prescribed as per underlying causative agent.

Hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids.

Wear cotton clothes.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank-you very much! I was concerned it was a Pilonidal Sinus, but after reading the symptoms, followed by your reply, I am much more at ease. I'll see a dermatologist about it.

Pilonidal sinus manifests with symptoms like

Pain
Reddening of the skin
Drainage of pus or blood from an opening in the skin
Foul smell from draining pus.

So chances of pilonidal sinus with your current symptoms are less however you are prone to get it as you have history of prolonged hours of sitting which is the main contributing factor of pilonidal sinus.

So it is advised to make an appointment with a dermatologist for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

Thank you.