Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I am having occasional chest pain that is a stabbing pain sometimes

I am having occasional chest pain that is a stabbing pain sometimes achs, in the top left of my chest, above.

It is not constant and seems to only bother me when I am moving around or sitting down and lasts for only a second or two. I may go a whole day without feeling it, I may feel it twice a day.

The pain leaves me in panic, rapid heartbeat, breathless, makes me think something is wrong with my heart. I have had panic attacks before and suffered from anxiety, still do.

I'm 22 Years old not over weight, 5 ft 9. had a blood-test done and blood pressure test everything was normal.

Went to the ER last night, due to the same pain occurring while sitting, They done an ECG which came back normal.

Also i am suffering from excessive belching, constantly burping, after meals before meals really badly.

What is wrong with me? I have no history of Family heart problems

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!!

Anthony Bray MD : The sharp fleeting pain sounds to me to be very consistent with musculoskeletal type pain....
Anthony Bray MD : this could be costochondrotis as one possible cause....
Anthony Bray MD : with costochondrotis there is inflammation of one or more cartilage segment between the sternum and ribs....

So you dont think its anything related or to do with the heart?

Anthony Bray MD : This type of inflammation is commonly caused by a virus as a residual following a recent past respiratory infection( the cartilage has a hard time combating a virus)
Anthony Bray MD : This would be an aggravating but harmless condition if you have this....
Anthony Bray MD : No-- the brief fleeting type pains are not considered to be heart related in type!!
Anthony Bray MD : You at your age would be very low risk for most heart related conditions -- especially coronary artery disease causing angina would be VERY low risk for you...
Anthony Bray MD : it sounds to me that you may have had panic attacks triggered by the chest pain experiences as a more likely scenario....

yeah i agree. i am in constant worry about my heart, fearing there maybe something wrong with it, due to the symptoms i am having

Anthony Bray MD : If you have costochondrotis or other musculoskeletal cause of pain then this may be helped to settle down by taking an anti- inflammatory for a couple if weeks such as Aleve 1 or 2 tablets twice a day....
Anthony Bray MD : yes I understand... Health fears and worries and concerns are very common ...
Anthony Bray MD : You are not alone at all in this regard!!
Anthony Bray MD : At your age you should be reassured that your heart is FINE though!!!
Anthony Bray MD : Your history of symptoms does not suggest the cause to be your heart either....
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!!
Anthony Bray MD : If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards!
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD

Thats fine, thank you for your time, also what could be causing my excessive gas? I seem to be eating really healthy, yet i still have bad gas and burning in my throat, could it be acid refulx?

Anthony Bray MD : Hello again!
Anthony Bray MD : Yes this is suggestive if a separate problem. It sounds that you may have reflux as at least part of this...
Anthony Bray MD : if you have irritation of the lining of the stomach then this ( gastritis or ulcer) then the stomach writhes and it will draw in air and then contract to cause increased belching....
Anthony Bray MD : If severe in nature and an ongoing problem then you may benefit to see your doctor--- you may benefit to be checked for a bacteria --- H. Pylori--- this is a major cause of ulcers and if present needs to be treated for two weeks with a double antibiotic regimen ...
Anthony Bray MD : You may also benefit to be treated with an acid reducing medication such as Rx Protonix, Nexium, Dexilant, etc....
Anthony Bray MD : There are some over the counter options as well--- Prilosec and Protonix and Zantac are OTC here in the US ( I'm not sure if this is the case in the UK) most things are very similar though ...

alright i'll try getting my hands on those

Anthony Bray MD : I would advise a period of time of some diet restrictions to help your stomach/ GERD/ esophagus....
Anthony Bray MD : try to avoid hot spicy foods or acidic foods....
Anthony Bray MD : avoid alcohol or coffee....

Ok, will do my best to avoid those

Anthony Bray MD : avoid peppers, onions, citrus fruits, tomatoes ( or tomato sauce for 6 to 8 weeks)
Anthony Bray MD : be careful with regard to anti- inflammatory medications( of course we discussed your possible benefit from some Aleve which is one of these for costochondrotis) aspirin, Aleve or Advil would carry some risk to further irritate the GI TRACT....
Anthony Bray MD : prescription Celebrex or Arthrotec are easier on the GI tract as possible anti- inflammatory options for you if you need....
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this helps you!! Let me know if you have further questions.
Anthony Bray MD : I will be happy to get back with you!!
Anthony Bray MD : i hoe that you feel better soon!!
Anthony Bray MD : Best regards,

Thanks Anthony :)

Anthony Bray MD : You are very welcome!!
Anthony Bray MD : Take care!! :)

you to ^^