Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

i have a weird prickly sensation in my left hand (on top of

i have a weird prickly sensation in my left hand (on top of the hand). is that bad?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Customer:

hi

Anthony Bray MD : By top of the hand--- you mean the back of the hand??? Not the palm side , right??
Customer:

right

Anthony Bray MD : A tingling sensation is a symptom that we medically refer to as a paresthesia ( = abnormal sensation)
Customer:

ok, meaning what exactly?

Anthony Bray MD : iIf it were the PALM SIDE of the hand then the common cause of this would be CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME. This is caused by some degree of compression on the median nerve as it passes through the wrist area....
Anthony Bray MD : If the symptom is on the back aspect of the hand then this would be the radial nerve distribution --- it would seem to imply some type of irritation, injury or entrapment of this nerve as the more likely cause....
Customer:

not a heart attack, then?

Anthony Bray MD : If it were due to an injury dish as a bruise involving the path of the nerve then I would expect the sensation to be short lived--- a few days to about a week but not likely to be beyond that....
Anthony Bray MD : if you had some type nerve entrapment then this would be more chronic in nature....
Anthony Bray MD : Other causes and locations would be possible but less likely here but if the symptom should persist or get worse then I would advise that you have this checked into further....
Anthony Bray MD : NO! Not a heart attack!!
Customer:

ok. good.

Customer:

thanks.

Customer:

i am a bit on a paranoid side.

Anthony Bray MD : A heart related problem may have left arm symptoms-- this would be more typically an ache down the inner aspect of the left arm down to the hand.....
Anthony Bray MD : You are very welcome!
Anthony Bray MD : Hopefully the sensation is just of a transient nature in which case you would have no worry at all....
Customer:

everything causes me worry.

Customer:

now, i can move on to the next thing.

Anthony Bray MD : if it should persist for more than a week then I would have your doctor check you but this is NOT suggestive of an angina type complaint....it is not heart related in other words ....
Anthony Bray MD : Yes, sure you have another question??
Anthony Bray MD : Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!!
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

i actually meant that now i can worry about something else. but ok, i have another question. what are symptoms of brain tumor?

Anthony Bray MD : Hello again,,
Customer:

hi

Anthony Bray MD : The most common presentation of a brain tumor or cancer metastatic to the brain would be neurological symptoms. These can vary ... I had a patient present with trouble swallowing for example... I' ve had another patient present with falls and difficulty with balance....seizures would be another common way that this problem could present....
Anthony Bray MD : Even though the tingling sensation on the back or the hand is neurological in nature this would seem VERY UNLIKELY to be a presentation of a brain tumor....
Anthony Bray MD : the source of the abnormal sensation could be done the radial nerve or at a higher level( brachial plexus in the shoulder area) or the neck area would be more common than brain as a source of the sensation....
Anthony Bray MD : If you had a progression of neurological symptoms then exam by a neurologist and further investigation such as MRI of the brain would be needed but this would be extreme overkill at this point for you I would say .....
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this information helps! Let me know if you have further questions or concerns! Take care,
Customer:

i did not mean to tie the questions together. the brain one was a completely different question. someone i know was diagnosed and i am freaking out.

Customer:

so, i was just really inquiring as to general symptoms.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello again--- I was flagged to respond back to your question but I now see nothing in the space above...this happens sometimes with the chat mode. I am switching to Q and A mode to see your last question... This we can use to speak back and forth still but it is a tad slower.... Hang on.....
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hello again,

I see.... I am sorry that your friend was diagnosed with this serious problem. As I noted however neurological symptoms of some type are the most common presentation of this problem though. It can be at times surprisingly silent until tumor is large or disease advanced. Common misconception is that this would cause headaches. The internal brain is not sensitive to pain. A brain tumor can produce headaches potentially by pressure on certain intra- cranial structures but often this is not the case. Seizures or neurological deficits of some type are a more common way for this problem to present.

I hope that this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Best regards ,

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor