Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

Hi, My hasband has red neck and chest and it is getting worse,

Hi, My hasband has red neck and chest and it is getting worse, it;s been llike this for couple of years now. What could it be?

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!

Hello Dr. Bray

Anthony Bray MD : Photodermatitis could cause marked redness and inflammation of the skin in sun exposed areas ....
Anthony Bray MD : this would not be expected to be ongoing for two years BUT if he has sensitivity to sunlight with repeated exposures then this type of process could very well be in play in his case....

He does not spend a lot of time outside, he works in the office. I think it something else. The neck is red all around and just a little of chest area.

Anthony Bray MD : auto-immune disorders such as lupus may cause increased sensitivity of the skin to sunlight as another possibility....

Could it be due to stenosis of vessels in the chest-neck area?

Anthony Bray MD : I think that with this history that he did ineptly should consult a dermatologist and may need further testing ( such as screens for auto-immune disease)
Anthony Bray MD : No this would NOT be an expected result of stenosis of major arteries....

Ok, i read on another webside that mitral valve prolapse cause the same symptoms.

Anthony Bray MD : Typo above... Sorry ...ineptly should be definitely.... These darn spellcheck computer programs!!!!

No problem,

Anthony Bray MD : No I would NOT expect that MVP would cause this at all. I have never seen such a connection though I have had many patients with the common problem with some degree of MVP....

Could smoking cause this redness?

Anthony Bray MD : It sounds likely that his problem would likely benefit from avoidance of sun exposure and use of heavy SPF sunscreens when outside....

Ok, thank you Dr. Bray.

Anthony Bray MD : I would advise that he follow up with a dermatologist at his convenience to further evaluate this finding though .....
Anthony Bray MD : You are very welcome!

He doesn't want to go to the doctors, he is very stubborn, that's why I am using Justanswer.

Anthony Bray MD : let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!

Thank you!

Anthony Bray MD : I see!! That is common!! I think that he will be best served to be careful about sun exposure then. It is likely more prominent too when he gets warm/hot. I think that he has exaggerated capillary blood flow near the skin surface that relates to the iccurance of what you see with the redness in these areas ....
Anthony Bray MD : Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray MD : If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray MD : Oh and I would not expect smoking to specifically cause the redness BUT smoking DOES cause changes if the skin as well!! So some influence is possible!!
Anthony Bray MD : thinning of the skin may be a change and also wrinkles are more common / prevalent in smokers....
Anthony Bray MD : aging effects of the skin tend to be exaggerated in smokers....
Anthony Bray MD : i hope that this information helps...
Anthony Bray MD : Again let me know if you have further questions!!
Anthony Bray MD : Take Care!
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD

Thank you again Dr Bray!