Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

Do you think i should start the antibiotic or wait

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

What symptoms do you have currently?

Customer: Productice cough, green snot, chest hurts. Sinus pressure, sore throat
mysticdoc :

since how many days you have these symptoms?

Customer: Ive been fighting sinus infection for the last 2 months. Been on 3 rounds of augmentin finushed 2.5 rounds before i had a reaction to that. That was the 17th. Symptims have gotten much worse since stopping the antibiotics
mysticdoc :

Ok.

mysticdoc :

Sounds like you are still harboring bacterial infection.

mysticdoc :

Antibiotic should be changed.

mysticdoc :

Augmentin resistance is possible.

mysticdoc :

Doxycycline will be better choice.

Customer: Allergic to doxycyline. Dr today gave me an rx to cipro. I dont want to become resistant to antibiotics. So i dont want tontake it if its a viral illness. I had to stop the augmentin early beause i broke out in hives
mysticdoc :

ok

mysticdoc :

but based on your description, sounds like still bacterial.

mysticdoc :

Azithomycin is another option besides cipro.

Customer: Can i talk to dr bray
mysticdoc :

Dr Bray seems to be offline.

Customer: Try it again
mysticdoc :

I will opt out

Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!!

First of all let me clear up a common misconception ---YOU as an individual DO NOT become resistant to an antibiotic. Resistance is rather a characteristic of a bacterial population. These populations come and go over time. The fact Is that with your treatment of Cipro it will be best for you to FINISH the complete course EVEN IF YOU FEEL BETTER SOONER!! After you finish treatment the bacterial populations within your body may be more likely to have some resistance to Cipro for the next 2 months BUT beyond this time frame the residence pattern to Cipro would be expected to be low again..

This is a rule of thumb with the use if antibiotics in general. If we use antibiotic X for example then the bacteria that remains such as in your mouth and GI tract will only be the bacteria capable if surviving the antibiotic. Sometimes this opens the door for a fungal infestation which the antibiotic would not treat. This is why a yeast infection is common with antibiotic treatment.

I hope this helps to clarify. I do think you need the Cipro. The time involved and your symptom progression are very suspicious for this being a bacterial infection rather than viral --- so I do believe that the Cipro should help. The issue of resistance is not a lasting problem after you come off the antibiotic.

I hope this helps!! Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Typical course 10 days
Hello again,

Yes ten days is standard for the type of infection that you are fighting. ( the time course used is different for different type infections---for example 30 days is more standard for a prostate infection) in your case ten days is exactly what I would have prescribed for bronchitis plus sinus infection.

I hope this helps ! Let me know if you have further questions! Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anyway to tell if its viral or bacterial
Hello!

Yes . If you were given a sterile cup to take home then you could wait until you had a very productive bout if coughing and the spit this into the cup. This is not 100% as we can potentially just get contaminant and often the sample is not of a good quality to grow out the disease causing bacteria. This when it works is an excellent way to confirm the bacteria that is the cause and the best antibiotic to use. It is more common to use empiric treatment as your doctor did in your case. This is selecting an antibiotic based on the type of infection. This usually works and is cheaper and simpler but I'm more serious cases such as pneumonia then added steps to collect and test the bacteria in the sputum would be more likely to be done.

Another potential clue may be inferred from a blood count with a white cell differential . Most of the time the blood test is not considered necessary but it is a way to estimate a cause of infection. Bacterial infections are fought primarily by neutrophils. Viral infections are fought primarily by lymphocytes( a second major subtype of white blood cell) parasitic infections ( not that common in the US) are fought primarily by eosinophils...

So the blood count has this potential to be useful but as I said this step is not usually done unless there seems to be some over-riding need for this. ( example would be person in ER with symptoms of meningitis--- it becomes more urgent to know if this is viral vs bacterial for example)

I hope this helps to clarify. Let me know if you have further questions! Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just hope i start feeling better
Hello again,

Yes I agree.... That is the main thing in your situation. The use of the Cipro in your case I think is a good choice as I stated earlier. I think it will work for you and hopefully soon! I hope that you are feeling better very soon!

Let me know if you have further questions. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My snot is pink. Is that just from irritation
Hello again !

Yes it sounds that it is probably lightly blood tinged due to irritation of the mucosa...

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just woke up. Having coyghing spells that last 5-10 minutes. Feel like i cant breathe during these. Have a fever of 100.8. My neutrophil count is 9.8. And my neutropjil percetage is 93.4
Hello!

The high neutrophil percentage supports that you are fighting a bacterial infection. The fever is mild in extent but confirms to me that you really do need to be on the antibiotic. The difficulty carrying on breathing during a coughing spell is not that unexpected.... Not ' normal' as it is not your normal state of health but not unexpected for a case of bronchitis ....

I hope that the Cipro will do the trick for you here. Keep a monitor periodically ( 2-3 times a day is fine) on your temperature. Fever now that surpasses 102 would be if concern to me. Your bronchitis would carry some potential risk to bloom into pneumonia and I would advise that despite being on the antibiotic that you just be aware of any potential worsening such as the development of high fever....

Your Cipro would be a decent outpatient treatment of pneumonia as well by the way but if you were known to have such I would extend the course to 14 days and recommend a follow up chest X-ray to confirm clearing if any infiltrate (this means the chest X-ray abnormality that would theoretically be present on chest x ray #1 in the case of a diagnosed pneumonia) I do not wish to worry you here but just to alert you to be aware of the possibilities that exist with the type of infection that you have.... At this point I would advise you to rest and continue the Cipro and as I said it wod be typical to see some improvement by days 3 to 5 of treatment...

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got sent home from work. What can i do to stop the cough
Hello!Your Rx for Phenergan plus codeine should help in this regard. As I told you no treatment is 100% to stop could NOR SHOULD IT BE!! The idea is to lessen the severity of cough. Some cough is needed to keep airways clear...The Rx for Tussionex is my favorite prescription for cough and I have had very good feedback on this helping from my patients over the years. Tessalon perles are another possible option. I hope this helps. I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much aggravation from this. I hope that you feel better soon! Take care,Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cough syrup didnt help any
Hello again,You might ask Dr#2 whom gave you the Cipro for Rx for Tussionex. This may help better a bit anyway... The cough is going to be a part of this illness and at best it will be a matter of "taking the edge off" of the cough. I hope this helps! Best regards!!Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a nasty sinus headache
Hello again

I' m sorry to hear that! You may take a combination of Tylenol and Advil ( 1000mg/dose of Tylenol and 200 to 800mg max of ibuprofen---now I know that you have had the GI issues and need to be careful with this--- I don't think a single dose of Advil along with food or milk would hurt your stomach/ esophagus though)

If you take cough syrup with codeine or hydrocodone ( Tussionex has hydrocodone) then these are also pain MEDS and should help with your headache.

So if you decide to take any ibuprofen at all then just take 1 or 2 times but NOT ongoing due to your stomach.

The Tylenol is OK to max of 4000mg/day for young person as yourself for several days but long term max we recommend no more than 3000 mg/ day(too much over time can harm the liver is the reason for this)

I hope this helps! I hope that you feel better soon! Let me know if you have further questions and I' ll be happy to get back with you!! Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry that im such a pain. I just dont feel good
Hello again,

I realize that you don't feel well. Keep in mind that this too shall pass--- before you know it this illness will be behind you!

Take care , let me know if I may be of further help!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My reg gi dr said i can take nsaids for 2 weeks
Hello again ,

Yes this should be Ok but I'm just cautious. I would simply recommend that you keep these to a minimum with your history of problems that's all. If you had an ongoing need for an anti- inflammatory med then as I mentioned before there are good options that could be prescribed for you such as Celebrex or Arthrtec.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got sent home from work early today Do you think i should attempt work tomorrow
Hello !

I would advise that you stay home and rest tomorrow. Perhaps you may be well enough to return by Friday but I would advise that you judge this day by day. Your coworkers also do not want what you have!! It is best to be considerate for them too!!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions! Further positive feedback would be appreciated! Thank you and best regards! I hope that you feel better soon!

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a fever again this am. And also really nauseated
Hello again,

What is your temperature this AM?? It is common for fever spikes to gradually lessen over several days. Tylenol or Advil are helpful to relieve your fever of course...

The Phenergan would be helpful for the nausea.

I hope that you feel better soon. Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
101.4.
Hello again,

Ok, that is a little higher than yesterday as I recall... I would advise rest, Tylenol ( alternate with some Advil if you need) I would check Temp about 2 to 3 times a day or as needed to monitor. If you should feel worse with higher fever progression over the next two days or so then I would be concerned for possible development of pneumonia. I think that worsening would not be likely with you being on the Cipro ( but it is possible to have worsening despite the antibiotic)

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do you think i feel really pukey today
Hello again,

Your illness may well be causing the nausea. I hope that the Phenergan will help with this. Hopefully with you resting plus the antibiotic will lead to improvement today.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have further questions. Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im throwing up
Hello again,

Try taking the Phenergan. This may be repeated every 6 hours. Does your stomach hurt?? I would go to a liquid diet for next 8 to 12 hours then advance to bland. Is your cough, shortness of breath, chest pain symptoms worse, better or about the same today?? If feeling worse with these latter symptoms then I would suggest that you contact the office of the doctor that prescribed the Cipro to update him. He may want you to come in or wait and see how things go today---tomorrow...

Drink small amounts frequently.. I would recommend Gatorade, soups as being best. Continue your GI MEDS -- Protonix , Zantac and Carafate....

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. I hope that you improve soon. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My epigastric region hurts. The symptoms are about the same.
Hello again,

OK--- with the respiratory symptoms being the same I would advise that you continue your antibiotic and rest!! With your esophageal irritation continue your GI MEDS as I mentioned..

I think you are doing all that you reasonably can at this time. Hang in there .... Let me know if I may be of further assistance to you!

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the antibiotic be upsetting my tummy
Hello!

It would not be impossible but Cipro is not usually a problem in this regard.... Diarrhea more common a problem due to intestinal bacteria being changed by the antibiotic but nausea and vomiting not common due to Cipro... I think your history is more consistent with gastritis or possibly ulcer disease being cause. Severe respiratory infections--- bronchitis or pneumonia may cause nausea and vomiting.... I would definitely continue the Cipro!! It would be ill advised and dangerous even for you to stop this at this point I feel....

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not keeping fluids down
Hello again,

Well you know that it is critical that you keep hydrated. You may need to be seen at ER if you continue to have so much trouble .... You may try the Phenergan and sips of liquids but get help if you need it!!

Let me know if you have further questions! I hope that you feel better soon!

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive had 10 oz of fluid. My pulse is 112. Do you think ill be able to go to work tomorriw
Hello again,

No I don't think that it would be a good idea for you to work tomorrow. You will need more time to recover based on how things have been today. Hang in there! I hope that you will feel better soon!

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But we are short at the clinic tomorrow
Hello again,

Come on! Be realistic!! Do you honestly think that you will be up to working tomorrow?? I don't think anyone at your work would want you coughing on them or throwing up on them!! You need to rest and recover!! I hope that you bounce back fast but I don't believe that you working tomorrow is in the cards at this point!

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just hate staying home.
Hello again,

Everyone hates being sick of course... Hang in there!! You will be back on your feet soon... Before you know it this illness will be behind you!

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My stomach really hurts

Hello again,

I'm sorry to hear that. Is this the upper abdomen/stomach area vs the mid lower abdomen > intestine area?? Are you taking your usual GI meds??I would think that these would be helpful for you...

Let me know if I may be of further help...

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im really acidy feeling

Hello again,

I hope that you feel better in general today. With the acid feeling >> I hope that you are still taking your GI meds>> Protonix// Zantac// Carafate >> these should help....

Also continue to watch your diet >> avoid spicy acidic foods ( no to tomatoes, citrus, onions, peppers) No to alcoholic drinks and coffee as well...

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!!

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive never been this acidy before

Hello again,

Well I am sure that the stress on your body with the bad respiratory infection is not helping you in regard to this either...

The recent days with the nausea and vomiting and the fever would be aggravating to your stomach.

Hopefully these symptoms will clear up soon for you too. Hang in there and stick to good diet and take your usual GI meds and this should help.

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just feel really vomity.

Hello again,

Well try taking more of the Phenergan. This should help to reduce your sense of nausea....

I hope this helps>> Get well soon!!

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well im doimh 12.5 mg every 4 hour rectally

Hello again,

I see.. well hopefully that will help to control the nausea for tonight. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day...

Has your fever resolved?

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has gone down. 100.3. I am watching a 2 and 3 year old overnight tonight

Hi again,

Well at least it seems to be trending back down. That is a good sign. It usually does take a few days with you being as sick as you have been.

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much phenergan can i take every 4 hours

Hello again,

You may take 25mg /dose as being standard... this may make you very drowsy as a possible and common side effect though.. If you took 25mg then I would not repeat more than every 6 hours....

I hope this helps. Take care,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you still think my illness was bacterial

Hello again,

Yes I really do think that you are recovering from a bacterial respiratory infection. Be sure to take ALL of the Cipro or it will whip back on you!!

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im throwing up whats wrong with me

Hello again,

With this being an ongoing problem and with your history I think that you have irritation of your stomach lining as the probable cause.... gastritis or ulcer disease...

So I would advise that you stick to clear liquids for 12 hours and advance diet to bland as you tolerate this... continue your GI meds and the Phenergan...

If this should be ongoing today to the point that you have trouble staying hydrated then you might need further help such as visiting the ER. Hopefully this will not be the case for you.Zofran or other options to help with nausea may be considered for you...

I hope this helps. I hope that you feel better soon!

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I talked to my gi de yesterday and hectold me to stop everything but the protonix

Hello again,

Well the Protonix is the main one...this would have the most ongoing benefit to you. The others and especially the Carafate are more needed when you have active ulcers.. I can't help but to wonder if you would not be better to continue this for a short time such as 2 weeks at least. If you take Carafate then remember to take this apart in time from other medications as it tends to affect the absorption of many ...

I hope this helps. let me know if you have further questions! Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My cough is going backwards

Hello again,

Are you still taking the cough suppressant? What are you currently taking for your cough? This might be the reason if you are taking less in this regard....

Let me know... I will get right back with you!

Take care,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im doing the cough syrup every 6 hrs and doing mucinex dm

Hello again,

I see.. well that is fine then ..you are doing what you can... hang in there!! There would not seem to be anything further for you to do at this point. Hopefully you will improve over this weekend.

Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shoukdnt i be better by now

Hello again,

Yes typically you would expect to be doing better by now. These infections may vary in their severity and time of recovery though. If you are showing worsening beyond Monday then you may well need further follow up evaluation... You might need a chest x ray for example...

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions. I hope that you do feel better soon... Take Care,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How about a switch of antibiotic

Hello again,

It is still a bit premature to take that step I think.. I think that Cipro will probably do the trick for you BUT if you do not turn around by the first of next week then a change or addition may need to be considered...

Increased cough is one measure but the fever that you reported at least as of yesterday was improving... this is probably a good sign with the decrease in the fever spikes... that would be expected with gradual improvement...

If you are questionable in terms of improving or not by early this upcoming week then re-evaluation to include physical exam, CBC and chest x ray to check you out may be needed...

Your severe cough, nausea and vomiting and fever act to me as though you may have been fighting pneumonia rather than just bronchitis. ( I know that your doctor said your lungs sounded clear though...)

Let me know if you have further concerns>> Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im having a lot of post nasal drip

Hello again,

Well the Robitussin DM would have some guafenesin in it to help thin mucus. You may take further such as Mucinex... take with lots of water/fluids and this would tend to help this some...

I hope this helps. I hope that you are feeling better in general.. Take care,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought i was getting better but it feels like its starting over agaib

Hello again,

How are you as far as the specific symptoms? How is your cough, chest discomfort, fever?? Are you short of breath? If not feeling some improvement then you will need to follow up early this week....

Let me know >> Take care!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday my respiratory symptoms were better. But tgis am the cough is worse. The chest disconfort has worsed. When i woke up at 1 this am temp was 101.6. My cough is producing a lot more phlegm today

Hello again,

I agree that you need to be concerned with the recurrence of high fever and the respiratory symptoms. I think that you do need to follow up with your doctor tomorrow. I was hoping that this was just a matter of you being impatient with recovery ( we see this all the time too of course... this would mean that you were recovering but just fatigued with being ill... sick and tired of feeling sick and tired!! )

It sounds to me that you need follow up and probably need a chest x-ray and physical exam and a CBC with white cell differential would be good idea for you.If you should have worsening on the current antibiotic then adding Ketek or Biaxin may be a decent option. I would consider Rocephin shots ( 1.0 gram IM once a day for three days would give you practically the same potency of IV antibiotics but we would have to consider this with caution due to your allergy to Augmentin... there would be about 10% risk of cross-over allergic response to cephalosporin class such as Rocephin)

I hope this helps. Let me know if you should have further questions. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a nurse so i know all about people being impatient with recovery. I am just not that type. I know illnesses have to run their course. But i also was pretty confident that that was not the case with me. When i talked with my pcp he told me i had to give it 2 weeks begire hed even see me

Hello again,

I see.. well a 2 week wait just to see you seems a bit extreme to me!!

I think at this point that you should ask your doctor about using a sterile cup to collect a sputum sample. I think that this would be helpful to your case as well... this could determine if you should have a bacterial infection with some antibiotic resistance. It could help to direct your antibiotic choices...

Do you work with a high risk population/ setting?? Your occupation as a nurse may of course bring you into contact with more pathogens....

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions! Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I work in pediatrics.

Hello again,

Wow >> yes that is high risk for infectious disease exposure!!! (My first Peds rotation in med school I STAYED sick but built up immunity to large extent since then.....)

I hope you bounce back soon! Based on your history and especially this prolonged course with rebound of high fever > I do advise that you get follow up tomorrow... I think it would be best for you to have a chest x-ray too as part of your evaluation... (clinical exam of the lungs is just not 100%)

Take care>>

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive been in peds for almost 2 years. I would think id be immune by now. The tylenol brings the fever down. So if i saw my dr after i take tylenol i wont have a fever

Hello again,

Well I'm sure that you have indeed built up immunity to the most common viral and common bacterial illnesses. (If you have not already done so I would recommend the Pneumovax vaccine for you. This vaccine protects against 23 subtypes of pneumococcus which is the most common bacterial cause of pneumonia...) I have had this as well>> I really think this would be a great idea for healthcare professionals in general but it is available but usually not required as the Hep B series is...)

I hope this helps and that you rebound against this illness soon. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At the clinic i work for they dont offer the pneumovax to people even pt until they are medicare age. Do you advise i dont take tylenol before i see my pcp

Hello again,

Yes I think that that is fine. The taking of Tylenol should not really affect your evaluation. Controlling your fever will help with your comfort level. You may ask your PCP about the pneumovax. (I would not advise that you take this while you are sick but rather wait until you are well. This would give your immune system the better response to the vaccine)I'm not surprised that this would not be provided by your clinic.

I hope this is helpful>> Take care!

Anthony Bray MD