Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am constantly dehyrdrated.

I am constantly dehyrdrated. I am peeing more than I take in. My eyes are dry and even my lips are badly chapped. A VA doctor says the dryness is caused by nt meds but I have taken them for years and never had this peroblem.
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

What medications are you taking, exactly??

Anthony Bray MD :

With your history I would be concerned that this could represent the presentation of onset of type 2 diabetes...

Anthony Bray MD :

I would think it would be best idea to rule this out by checking BOTh your fasting glucose (no food for > 6 hours..) and by checking a hemoglobin A1C (this latter test checks what your blood sugar has been doing for the past 3 months)

Customer:

Gabapentin, Bupropion 20mg twice a day. Seroquel 25 mg for sleeping.Simvastatin 40 mg a day. Fish oil and vitamin D3

Customer:

200 mg on the Bupropion

Anthony Bray MD :

I see.. I agree with you that none of these would be expected to cause you to have frequent urination...

Anthony Bray MD :

The Seroquel is low dose but could have some potential to push up your blood sugars.. this is a potential side effect of this medication....

Anthony Bray MD :

If your blood sugar was noormal then I think checking for normal kidney function would be a good idea...

Anthony Bray MD :

You may be checked directly for dehydration based on your blood tests....

Anthony Bray MD :

The BUN /creatinine ratio is helpful in making this determination....

Customer:

Weeks ago I had dehydration due to diahearrea and took an atropine based drug but it was only the one pill. I was hydrated at the hospital

Anthony Bray MD :

OK, well you may have been dehydrated just due to your diarrhea at that time.. I could not tell from that if you have any such ongoing problem...

Customer:

So what test do I request at the VA??

Customer:

Yeah because afteward there was a period of no problems

Anthony Bray MD :

I would advise that you have fasting blood glucose checked, hemoglobin Aic, a metaboklic profile (this would include electrolytes, BUN and creatinine and the ratio (greater than 20 on this ratio would support you being dehydrated...)

Anthony Bray MD :

A simple urinalysis would also help together with the blood work to see if your urine had approriate concentration....

Customer:

recently had glucose checked. It was good at 83, less than before at 112.

Anthony Bray MD :

Too dilute could indicate kidney disease....

Customer:

Too dilute what

Customer:

the piss

Customer:

??

Anthony Bray MD :

The most common cause of your presentation would be diabetes. Your recent fasting blood sugar was normal so this piece of evidence would not appear to support you having problem with diabetes but I would advise checking the hemoglobin A1 C as well >> more accurate as it covers what has happened for 3 month period. Even diabetic could have some normal fasting values of blood sugar....

Customer:

Do you have a specific name for the tests I would ask for??

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes urine being too dilute could be caused by certain renal disease > example would be diabetes insipidus >> this is not a common illness however...

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes I have listed these above...

Anthony Bray MD :

Hemoglobin A1c , metabolic profile (these may vary and some include the liver function as well but your doctor would know what you meant to say this...) Any metabolic profile would include tests of kidney function (BUN and creatinie) and the electrolytes.

Anthony Bray MD :

Serum osmolality may also be requested to check you for being dehydrated >> this equals a measure of the concentrration of the salts in your blood vs water content....

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this information helps! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back wtih you!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

OK will try to have this prinyed out

Anthony Bray MD :

PS >> also ask your doctor to check a urinalysis of the urine... this could be further investrigated witha 24 hour urine if there was supicion of there being kidney disease as a potential problem...

Anthony Bray MD :

Good luck >> I hope that you get improvement! Take Care!

Anthony Bray MD :

I will switch mode to Q and A >> I think this may help in your printing attempt....

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I paid with paypal and believe I have a confirmation but you guys were saying I was refunded

Hello !!

I don't know!! ?? I can refer you to customer service to check with them... I do not have access directly to your payment information from my perspective...

Hello again!

Sorry for the apparent confusion! Let me know if you have further questions! I will be happy to get back with you if this should be the case. I would be happy to hear from you as you proceed with evaluation into this issue.

Take care !

Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is cleared up.

Hello again ,

Well that is great news! I'm glad that you are feeling back to normal. That is the main thing. Let me know anytime if you have further questions!

Take care and best regards XXXXX XXXXX

Anthony Bray MD