911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

Had blood tests and they told me my calcium levels are to high

Had blood tests and they told me my calcium levels are to high so now they want to do a thyroid blood test is this normal. I am so worried and concerned.
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

do you know what your calcium level was on the test?

911Doctor :

also, why did they order the tests?

911Doctor :

are you there?

911Doctor :

I need to step away from my desk but will check back with you shortly.

911Doctor :

one more thing.... if these were NOT routine lab draws can you describe to me the problem which led them to order the labs?

911Doctor :

Thanks

911Doctor :

be with you asap

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the level was 11
they checked it because urologist asked to cuz I have been having kidney stones
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

I see.

So the important thing to realize about the serum calcium level is there are a couple of ways to measure it. One, called 'serum ionized calcium', is very accurate. The common calcium level checked on a standard screen is not very accurate because it has to be corrected based on serum protein.

But let's say that your level is really eleven.

HERE IS A GOOD REFERENCE FOR YOU ON ELEVATED CALCIUM LEVELS.

People with elevated calcium levels need to have their PARATHYROID gland checked, not their thyroid, so you may have miss heard this part.

If you have recurrent kidney stones I am glad you are with a Urologist. If you have had an isolated stone I doubt this calcium level is truly elevated. Still, now that the result is 'high' it is important to check.

I think the doctor will check your parathyroid function and find it normal. I understand your concern, but from a doctor's perspective an isolated calcium reading of 11 is not worrisome, especially if the test was a standard calcium test and if the reason for the test was that you had a kidney stone.

Please let me know if you have any questions about my answer.

Positive feedback always appreciated.

Best

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so if not parathyroid it could be cancer? wow I pray thats not true
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

I think you should reread my prior answer.

My first suspicion is that this 'elevated level' is a lab error.

Quite frankly, I would never do a parathyroid evaluation based on one slightly elevated serum calcium reading.

Speculating at this point is fruitless. I know this level is 'abnormal', but even with your history of kidney stone this likely means nothing.

Kidney stones do not suggest cancer. Neither does a slightly elevated one-time draw of serum calcium.

I really think you should try to stop worrying about this and let the workup proceed. I think, at the end of the day, this will end up being nothing.

You had a kidney stone, you had a mildly elevated calcium one time, and now the doctor is obligated to follow that to it's end to MAKE SURE that this is nothing bad like cancer. And I have no fear that it might be.

Best

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician