Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My hands and lower legs/feet constantly bother me throughout

My hands and lower legs/feet constantly bother me throughout the day and sometimes even at night while sleeping. They feel like blood is rushing to them and they will get warm, then they feel a bit tingly and get sort of numb, as if they aren't getting enough blood to them. It seems worse if I'm sitting, especially if my feet are propped up in front of me. It almost always feels better if I am moving, although standing makes it worse if it's for more than a few minutes at a time. I am only 33 but this has been going on and getting progressively more bothersome for about the last 3-5 years.....since I started having children. Maybe it is just bad circulation but sometimes i worry it's something more serious, like MS, or another neurological condition. Any insight would be appreciated.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Have you got blood sugar levels checked?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Do you suffer from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
Have you noticed swelling in arm/legs?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't think I've ever had blood sugar levels checked, unless that's something they do at my routine gyno appointment. No one has ever suggested that. I do not have any other medical conditions and don't have any swelling. I have two kids, age 5 and 3, so life is chaotic and busy, but I am not under any kind of unusual stress or anxiety.

I have noticed it is a little worse on my right side than my left too. Could it be a pinched nerve or something?

Dear XXXXX, Thanks for providing quick additional information. I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

I understand your concern for such symptoms.
It sounds to be related with Peripheral neuropathy. This can occur with underlying medical condition and should be checked by your doctor. Possible causes are-

-Hormonal disorder- like thyroid hormone imbalance
-Blood sugar disorder
-Liver/ Kidney disease
-Vitamin deficiencies

You need to get detailed clinical examination and blood work. This includes-
-Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) tests
-Electromyography (EMG)
-Blood sugar levels, thyroid function tests, liver/kidney function tests.
Yes, you should get MRI of spine done, to rule out any nerve compression. It doesn't sounds to be related with serious issue like MS or other neurological condition.

The line of treatment would be selected according to the cause.
For the time, you can take Tylenol and try to rest on a firm surface. Also you can take Vitamin B complex supplements. Gentle stretching exercises should help too.
I would recommend that you visit your primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I call my GP and ask for an appointment, what do I tell him I want to see him about? Just tell him the symptoms and assume he'll know to do the tests you've suggested, or will I need to ask for these on the front end?

Dear XXXXX, Thanks for asking follow up question.

Well, I understand your concern. I suggest, that you can start with your GP, you can tell him about your symptoms, and discuss the tests as advised in previous post.
Your GP would have a thorough clinical examination and will recommend blood tests for precise diagnosis.
Once tests are done, then according to results you would be advised treatment.
Please make an appointment with your GP.