A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Dancing Fool has a new (embarrassing) question. This morning

Dancing Fool has a new (embarrassing) question. This morning I fell in the shower and landed in such a way that my bottom was cockeyed over the tub edge. I knew instantly I had a messy bloody problem because of the pain. I have inverse psoriasis there. I tore the inter-glute fold.. Ugh. Hubby put bacitracin on it.. (humbling! Who knew THAT would be part of marriage vows?) What else do I need to do to care for such a wound? It's in a crappy place, indeed. Ignore typos. Phone
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you. I do admire your sense of humor. It's good to be able to get a smile out of the most outlandish problems life throws at us.

If hubby didn't notice any deep cut or serious bleeding when he was administering first aid, all you will need to so is clean gently (plain soap and water, rinsed well), pat dry and reapply the antibiotic ointment twice a day. It's a bad place to even think about any kind of a bandage, since that would just irritate the wound (and the situation) further.

If redness develops around the wound, or it won't stop bleeding, or you begin to get a yellowish discharge, then you will need to see a provider for oral antibiotics and a stronger topical. However, we'll hope that won't be necessary.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! Wash twice/day or just bacitracin twice/day?

Sitting sure hurts. Good excuse to let the kids do the dishes & climb into bed early. :-)

It's still bleeding hours later. My foundation garment is quite a sight, and I have put on old pants I don't care about staining. I think just the movements of daily life cause it to re-tear.

I am not quite sure how to dress for work tomorrow. Have to find all my longest sweaters & tunics just to be on the safe side.

Wash and apply the bacitracin twice a day. A helpful garment is Depends. While usually worn for incontinence, they are also great for a wound that bleeds in an area you can't bandage. The newer designs fit closer, not like the older "adult diapers." While you can't get by with clingy knits over them, practically any fabric with a little body will work.

It is a rough place to have a tear for just the reason you stated. Just about any movement hurts. Do keep a close watch on it, since it is an area prone to infection. BTW, an ice bag may help with the bleeding as well as the pain. Twenty minutes at a time 3-4 times a day. Be sure the ice bag (a bag of frozen peas works well for this since it conforms to body contours) is wrapped in a washcloth or towel. Refreeze the peas inside another zip-lock bag and use over and over again, but do discard the bag of peas when you no longer need it. You don't really want to see those particular peas sitting on your dinner plate. Wink

Best regards,

Schuyler

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

Just FYI - I *never* relish frozen peas on my dinner plate! And great tip about Depends. I wouldn't have thunk that one on my own. Gratefully pressing the ACCEPT button now.