Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hello Nurse I am 51yr old female I had Hodgkins Lymphoma in

Hello Nurse
I am 51yr old female I had Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2005 in remission since, I have been having right side flank pain and a lot of loose bowel movement sometimes yellow I cant hardly eat anything as I have to go to bathroom directly after. I had upper abdomen ultrasound which they said was ok except for fatty liver and advised diet and excercise for that. I have left limb lymphodema and it is difficult to excercise. i am anxious that it could be secondary cancer
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

How long have you had the problems with the right side pain and diarrhea??

Anthony Bray MD :

This itself sounds that you may have some form of colitis or infection of the large bowel....

Anthony Bray MD :

Stool for white cells, cultures, ova and parasites as well as testing for C. diff would be to me important next step to undertake....

Anthony Bray MD :

I would advise that you continue follow up on this problem with your gastroenterologist until resolved....

Anthony Bray MD :

How long also have you had the problem with the swelling of the left limb (arm or leg??)

Anthony Bray MD :

If you had an infectious type of colitis then you may need appropraite antibiotic treatment...

Anthony Bray MD :

Colitis could be of an inflammatory nature as well... a colonoscopy may be needed to diagnose this if this is the case... you may have the stool studies first for example and then may have a trial of antibitoics>> if these steps fail to resolve the issue then a colonoscopy may be needed...

Anthony Bray MD :

With regard to the lymphedema I agree that there would exist some concern here for possible lymphoma... I think due dilligence would include testing for abnormal protein pattern with SPEP and UPEP (serum and urine electrophoresis)

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that a CT scan of the affected swollen limb to look for enlarged lymph nodes would also be a needed step in your case....

Anthony Bray MD :

Back to the diarrhea for a moment >> you may try taking a probiotic and this MIGHT help the diarrhea... it would tend to help normalize the GI tract bacteia population... this may be a helpful step and should not hurt anything at all....

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps!

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you have further questions or discussion and I will be happy to get back with you!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. that would be very much appreciated! Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

Hello Dr Bray

Customer:

Hello Dr Bray, I think I sent the last part of message too soon, I have had the side pain on and off for few months thought it was muscular, I been having diarrohea on and off few months too but recently have been watching my diet but nowadays I cannot eat hardly anything, because of the diarrohea comes so quickly thats why i fear cancer, I am not thinking about the lymphoma as my onc said it probably wouldnt return after 8 years (hopefully not) I got Lymphodema of left limb after groin surgery for Hodgkins tumour, I had been having Manual Lymph Drainage but because of the ongoing tests coming up it has been cancelled for now. I have such anxiety right now and my hospital assessment isnt till may 1st. I really dont know what to think, I am well scared.

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice