Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have been taking Atace foe 2 years or more. Coughed some

I have been taking Atace foe 2 years or more. Coughed some before but lately a terrible cough developed. My doc changed me toLosartan pot 50 mg. A week later the cough is still here. Do I need change again ? Will it go away.Another doc reccomended zolpidem. should i take that.
thanks

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

The Altace can have a dry cough as a potential side effect.... the change to Losartan should have eliminated this as a possible cause...

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds that you probably have a lower respiratory infection or allergies as a cause of your cough rather than it being due to side effect of the BP medication....

Anthony Bray MD :

I would watch for worsening of the cough>> more productive, pain with taking a deep breath, wheezing, shortness of breath, fever, etc....

Anthony Bray MD :

I would advise follow up with your doctor ealy next week at least if cough not improving on its own....

Anthony Bray MD :

It is fine to try over the counter cough suppressant(cough drops or cough syrup such as Robitussin) and see if this helps....

Anthony Bray MD :

Allergies as a cause of cough is also common this time of year wioth heavy pollen in the spring...

Anthony Bray MD :

This could even be new pattern for you even if you have had no history of this...

Anthony Bray MD :

I would more suspect a lower respiratory infection as a cause (most typically bronchitis) and more often these will be viral than bacterial....

Anthony Bray MD :

So watch and wait and follow up if symptoms are not improving would be my advice to you for now....

Customer:

That seems to be the case. My family doc checked me last week and said my lungs seemed clear. Could it take more time?

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes , I think it will take a bit of time and either a viral infection should clear up or it may "declare itself" more with increased productive cough if bacterial infection....

Customer:

The losartan is a ace inhibiter. does that make a difference?

Anthony Bray MD :

NO the Losartan is an A2 blocker and NOT an ACE inhibitor...

Anthony Bray MD :

ACE inhibitors have cough as side effect up to about 10% or the time....

Anthony Bray MD :

The A2 blockers may list cough as potentuial side effect BUT this is less than 1% of the time... not common with A2 blockers....

Customer:

Great, you have helped. thanks a lot doc God bledd you

Anthony Bray MD :

The mechanism by which ACE inhibitors most typically cause cough is AVOIDED by switch to A2 blocker such as Losartan...