Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  Wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

I have PTSD. I have episodes of depression. I am not taking

I have PTSD. I have episodes of depression. I am not taking wellbutrin since February. It was recommended to take the meds last September. So I took it regularly since September to February. I went into periods of ups & downs since then & kinda getting tired of them, because when I am in a slump I barely get through my days & its hard to accomplish my chores & schoolwork. When I am not in a slump, I don't have any problems. When I was on wellbutrin, my moods were kinda evened out but I didn't like that taste of it. How long does wellbutrin finally get out of my system?

Welcome and thank you for your question.

What dose of Wellbutrin were you on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
75mg
Felicia,

Wellbutrin has a half-life of about 14-20 hours. So it would take about 5 days for the drug to leave your system. the effects of the metabolites will stay a bit longer but the effect can take about 4-8 weeks to completely go away.

Since you took your last dose in February, the effects should have considerably decreased by now. Please give yourself till the end of the month to see how it goes. If the systems persist, you may need to see a doctor for a low dose of an antidepressant. Psychological counselling may also help you recover without the need of any drug.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I wanted a second opinion. I first started seeing a therapist in September on a bi-weekly basis, now I am only making monthly sessions. It has been rewarding to work with my therapist & I am more aware of the potential for growth & self-awareness. Plus, I enrolled in a program to become an assistant counselor in Human Addictions. So from my classes, I have also learned about the basic mechanics of the brain, group counseling, being the "helper." Again, Thank you for your answer.
You are welcome.

Psychological counselling is much better than drugs like Wellbutrin in helping overcome depression and also more effective and longlasting. You should be able to come completely out of the odd episodes of depression very soon.

I hope this helps.