Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have been taking methimazole for Graves Disease for about

I have been taking methimazole for Grave's Disease for about 2 months. I had an appointment two weeks ago and all blood tests were back to normal. I was ordered to get bloodwork this week for the medicine refill. I got it done and called in today to order the refill. The doctor's office said they'd put it in, but when I got to the pharmacist they hadn't. The office was closed and I already took my last pill.. Called the on-call doctor and she told me, based on the lab results, that I was now hypothyroid. She told me he did not refill it because I didn't need it anymore. Is this normal to just stop Methimazole so abrutly and should I expect anything from doing this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

The medical treatment of Grave's disease can be up and down as you seem to be experiencing....

Anthony Bray MD :

The Methimazole slows the activity of the thyroid....

Anthony Bray MD :

It is OK to stop for now and monitor the thyroid.. it may need to be stated and stopped at certain intervals to control the thyroid function....

Anthony Bray MD :

Another potential option for treatment of Grave's is to ablate the thyroid with radioactive Iodine treatment... this inactivates the thyroid... the underactive thyroid may be replaced then with thyroid hormone replacement...

Anthony Bray MD :

The relative advantage of this approach is that the treatment ends up being more stable...

Anthony Bray MD :

A potential disadvantage is that if you plan to become pregnant then you would need to wait one year following the radioactive iodine treatment....

Customer:

So this is a healthy way for the body? I'm just concerned because this is all happening at once. First it was the diagnosis of hyperthyroid, I have type one diabetes too, and recently was put on blood pressure medication for high blood pressure. Seems like a lot for the body to now suddenly stop taking this medication.

Anthony Bray MD :

No it is not that sudden really because the thyroid function is relatively slow to respond to treatment and slow to speed up function again if the methimazole is stopped....

Anthony Bray MD :

The high BP may be in part related to over-active thyroid... this does tend to speed up heart rate and raise your blood pressure if over-active,....

Anthony Bray MD :

The type one diabetes would be a separate problem... your immune system would have wiped out your insulin producing cells in the pancreas....

Anthony Bray MD :

It tends to take several weeks to respond to treatment and weeks to speed back up when med is held....

Anthony Bray MD :

I would advise that you follow up Monday with call to your doctor to make a follow up plan on this....

Anthony Bray MD :

In the meantime just hold off on the Methimazole but it is not reason to panic or excessively worry!!

Customer:

haha you know me without even seeing me.. Thank you for the peace of mind because I am a worrier by nature.

Anthony Bray MD :

OK well I am happy to help to what extent that I can!!

Anthony Bray MD :

let me know if you have further questions!

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this has been helpful for you!

Customer:

It has. Thank-You.

Anthony Bray MD :

I will be happy to address further questions if you have any!

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!

Anthony Bray MD :

Have a great weekend! take care!!

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer:

No, that was just my biggest worry that there would be adverse withdrawal symptoms with stopping it all at once.

Anthony Bray MD :

No it will not hurt you!! You will be fine!!

Customer:

Thanks. Have a good night.

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice