Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

My 13 yr old g-daughter started passing out shortly after her

My 13 yr old g-daughter started passing out shortly after her Daddy put mothballs under the house to keep snakes away. Is there any way this could be connect?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Mothballs UNDER the house vs her passing out would seem to me to be only coincidence....

Anthony Bray MD :

Does the interior of the house smell of this?? They do have a distinct pungent smell but still I would not really suspect mothballs as being the cause of her passing out....

Anthony Bray MD :

The most common cause of faints especially in young girls would be vasovagal type of syncope (passing out)

Customer:

There is a very strong odor in the house.What is vasovagal?

Anthony Bray MD :

This is typically a person with a low blood presure (more typical in low weight/ young girls)

Anthony Bray MD :

If the odor makes her feel nauseated then it is possibly connected...

Anthony Bray MD :

Nausea will cause a vasovagal response....

Customer:

She is very healthy excepted for having asthma

Anthony Bray MD :

This is where the vagal nerve is stimulated and this casues the heart rate to slow and the blood pressure to drop....

Anthony Bray MD :

Pain or nausea or psychological shock can cause such a reaction....

Anthony Bray MD :

As I noted this is the MOST COMMON cause of fainting... still a follow up evaluation with her doctor would be my recommendation....

Customer:

Can this be caused by anxiety? The 1st time she passed out she was in Health class and the were watching a video of a cancer lesion being taken off.

Anthony Bray MD :

The mothballs themselves would not be associated specifically with causing fainting BUT if she felt nauseated by the odor then this could be a cause...

Anthony Bray MD :

Panic attacks may produce hyperventilation and this can cause a faint as well as another possibility... anxiety in general not a common cause though...

Anthony Bray MD :

OK the pshychological shock of the videa could cause a faint...

Customer:

ok thank you.

Anthony Bray MD :

This would be vasovagal...

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!

Anthony Bray MD :

It would be similar to many people when they have blood drawn... it is a common reaction with this situation....

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this is helpful for you!

Anthony Bray MD :

Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!

Customer:

Now everytime she is in that class she has alot of anxiety. So I just wondered if that could cause it. She is still having symptoms she gets light headed,

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! >>>>

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes the anxiety leading to her feeling light headed would fit....

Anthony Bray MD :

If her BP were checked at these times I would bet it is quite low >> around 100/60 or less being likely....

Customer:

you still there

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes>>

Anthony Bray MD :

Do you have further questions??

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that checking on her blood pressure would be a good idea....

Anthony Bray MD :

She may benefit to increase her salt and fluids intake....

Anthony Bray MD :

Still a follow up check with her doctor is advised so that her doctor is at least aware of the situation...

Customer:

Is there anything to do about the drop in blood pressue. Because her BP was very low after the pass out. The nurse was there and she took is and my daughter is a CMA so she continue to take the rest of the day.

Anthony Bray MD :

BP lower than 95/55 would be liklely to cause faint....

Customer:

She has been staying hydrated b/c they told her that might be what happened.

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes as I noted the first step would be to increase her salt and fluid intake>>> salty foods like potato chips, pretzels, soups, pickles, plus Gatorade, tomato juice and other fluids....

Anthony Bray MD :

Medications may be needed in some cases...

Customer:

I appreciate your help. SHe has seen her dr and eye dr also.

Anthony Bray MD :

I doubt this would be the case at her age though....

Anthony Bray MD :

OK well that is good....

Anthony Bray MD :

You are most welcome!

Anthony Bray MD :

let me know if you have further questions....

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that monitoring her blood pressure daily for a while would be helpful to her situation...

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice