Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

I have been having body pain off and on for a few years. I

I have been having body pain off and on for a few years. I recently had a baby 3 months ago via csection, and my body is more sore and achy than ever.
I haven't been using my abdominal muscles like I should due to the surgery, and I am always tired from taking care of a new baby.
Could these be the reasons why I am feeling so yucky and fatigued? I try to take hot baths when I can, sit in the hottub, and stretch, but nothing seems to work that well. I know that sleep deprivation can do a lot to a person. Plus, I'm sure carrying around my 15 pound son doesn't help me.
I even have a prescription from the hospital for 600mg Ibuprofen that doesn't work all that great. I was thinking of doubling the amount and taking 1200 mg at a time to see if that would help. I am just tired of being in pain, and am thinking of going to my doc to get on pain meds until I feel better, but not sure that's a good idea. Also, I was even debating that I have some fibromyalgia symptoms.
Anyway, just looking for some reassurance that nothing is seriously wrong with me,
thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that you are on track with your suspicion that your symptoms may very well be related to sleep deprivation... that would make a lor of sense with the new baby...

Customer:

hi there :)

Anthony Bray MD :

In fact there seems to be connection with fibromyalgia and sleep deprivation....

Customer:

ok.....there are a lot of things that I know I can do to improve my health, I haven't been eating very well, etc, and I know that eating well, exercise and sleep are key factors in good heatlh

Customer:

oh really?

Anthony Bray MD :

I have found many patients with fibromyalgia to benefit from sleep aid such as Ambien (I realize that this is probably not practical in your circumstance though...)

Customer:

well I have thought about fibromyalgia off and on for a few years actually

Customer:

right, can't really do that right now

Customer:

would it hurt to have a doc prescribe some pain meds in the meantime?

Anthony Bray MD :

It is possible... main symptom with fibromylagia is muscle pain and tenderness>> especially specific points ....

Customer:

I don't want to be on them for a long time, but just until I can get back to the gym and exercise, do yoga, etc

Anthony Bray MD :

Are you breast feeding??

Customer:

yes my muscles and joints are killing me all the itme

Customer:

yes I am breastfeeding

Anthony Bray MD :

A mild pain reliever like Ultram may be very helpful and it would not be as addictive...

Customer:

ok, is that through a prescription?

Customer:

what about increasing my dosage of ibuprofen?

Customer:

is 1200mg at a time too much to take?

Anthony Bray MD :

It is classic for fibromyalgia to lack benefit from anti-inflammatory meds.... this would make sense with your lack of benefit from the ibuprofen....

Customer:

ooohhhh ok

Customer:

wow that makes sense

Customer:

yeah im getting minimal to no relief

Anthony Bray MD :

I would NOT advise trying to go to 1200mg however... just increases your risk of side effects with no real benefit I/m afraid...

Customer:

ok...

Customer:

so if I go see my MD I can ask about Ultram

Anthony Bray MD :

Cymbalta, Lyrica, Neurontin are better options if you have fibrromyalgia(i need to check their breast feeding recommendations or your doctor would need to check...)

Customer:

ok I can ask him

Customer:

im afraid to take anything so potent though....

Customer:

I would rather just take something to minimize the pain for a bit until I can start exercising again

Anthony Bray MD :

These are not high potentcy but two are also anti-seizure meds and one is also an anti-depressant... they just happen to modulate the CNS response to pain as well.. work by different mechanism than narcotics and are NOT addictive...

Customer:

oh ok...well I will take this list to my doc and see what I can do

Anthony Bray MD :

OK Good luck!!

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this helps!

Customer:

thanks for your help

Customer:

oh one more thing@

Anthony Bray MD :

Congrats on your new baby!!

Customer:

what do you think about taking naproxen instead of iburprofen?

Customer:

thank you!!

Anthony Bray MD :

I realize it is a life changing challenge at the same time however!!

Customer:

yes defintiely challenging, but amazing

Anthony Bray MD :

Oh I would expect about the same response with Naproxen as it is same class as ibuprofen...

Customer:

ok good to know......thank you for your help!

Anthony Bray MD :

You may have increased benefit to combine some Tylenol with ibuprofen OR with Aleve...

Customer:

oh ok I do have Tylenol...what dosage should I do for each

Anthony Bray MD :

Tylenol is metabolized differently and is not a true anti-inflammatory...

Anthony Bray MD :

Tylenol you may take a max of 1000mg/dose but do not exceed 3000mg/day for many days....

Anthony Bray MD :

Ibuprofen you mayu take up to 800mg/dose and 2400mg/day MAX....

Customer:

ok should I take it together with ibuprofen?

Customer:

oh ok sorry didn't see that lol

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes you can or may alternate....

Customer:

so I can take 1,000mg tylenol and 800mg iburprofen at the same time?

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this is helpful for you! I hope that you feel better soon!!

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes...

Customer:

or off and on?

Anthony Bray MD :

Yes that is OK as well...

Customer:

ok, will take those 2 together and see if they work until I can get to my MD

Customer:

thank you doctor!!!

Anthony Bray MD :

OK it sounds like a plan!

Anthony Bray MD :

You are very welcome!!

Customer:

thanks I hope to feel better soon too!! can't wait to get back in the gyn

Customer:

gym

Customer:

take care :)

Anthony Bray MD :

OK good luck to you! Let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!!

Anthony Bray MD :

Thank you and you as well!!

Customer:

I will do that ....cheers!

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice