A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Is it possible to request copies of all charts/medical files

Is it possible to request copies of all charts/medical files on my husband(so long as he agrees or asks himself for himself) I really need to have correct understanding of exactly what's been written. My husband just never seems to explain to me in great enough detail and frankly, I just feel like I need to see for myself actual diagnosis. As long as my husband gives consent, is it possible to do at all?

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you.

Yes, your husband may request copies of his medical files. Unless he is disabled and you have his healthcare power of attorney, you may not. All states are allowed to charge a per page fee for finding and copying medical records. Rates vary from one state to the other. For example. in Alabama, the fee is $1.00 per page for the first 25 pages plus $0.50 per page for pages over 25 plus a $5 search fee. In Delaware it is $2.00 for pages 1-10, $1.00 for pages 11-20, $0.90 for pages 21-60, $0.50 for all pages above 60. In addition to copying fees, actual postage charges to mail the copies to the patient may be charged.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Schuyler