Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I have sudden edema and have gained 10 lbs in a little over

I have sudden edema and have gained 10 lbs in a little over 24 hours. My hands, feet, ankles, legs, face, etc. are very swollen. I am having a little bit of shortness of breath but nothing major. I am very tired and just generally don't feel well. I had this happen one time before and saw a nurse practitioner. She put me on Lasix and did not do any tests. Basically I want to know if I should go to the hospital for treatment and what could cause this to happen so suddenly. Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Are you on any medications?
Do you have rash/ associated itching/ blister on hands, legs?
Do you have associated redness?
Do you have chest pain?
Any other health or medical problems ?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been taking dyazide for years for edema. I also take Yaz daily, valium and atarax as needed, and occasionally take lortab for pain.

Strangely enough, I do have a rash on the back of my left calf that just appeared over the weekend. It lasted for about two days and is now going away.

I only have slight redness with the swelling.

No chest pain.

I have many health problems but most stem from my hysterectomy.

Hope this answers all of your questions.

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for all these additional details.I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Well, these symptoms should not be ignored and a internal medicine doctor should be consulted ASAP.
You need to undergo few tests like-

Liver function test, Renal Function Test,EKG, Serum electrolyte tests, Thyroid function test, Albumin blood test Urinalysis,Chest X-ray,ultrasound abdomen.

Possible reasons are-
Liver disease, Kidney disorder,Thyroid disease, Heart disease,
Acute glomerulonephritis, Drugs side effects.

The line of treatment may include avoiding salt, diuretics, or water pills. Your fluid intake and output should be monitored regularly, and you should be weighed daily.

Please consult your doctor for clinical checkup and get appropriate management.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I live in a very small rural area and it is not possible to see an internal medicine doctor very quickly and would more than likely be weeks before I could get an appointment out of town. I only have the options of going to my local ER or the local urgent care center. What are your thoughts about where I should go and how soon? I am at work right now and need to know if this requires urgent treatment, if I should wait for it to go away on its own, or if I should attempt to see a doctor within the next week of weeks. Thank you again for your assistance.

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Dear, I understand your concern for this issue.

I understand that you live in rural area, and it may not be possible to see internal medicine doctor right now.

A complete thorough examination along with diuretic pills like Lasix or diuretic injections may be prescribed by your doctor.
As such you need to consult doctor in ER ASAP for clinical evaluation and get appropriate management.
Please don't delay and get checked from doctor in ER.

Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years