Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Hi - It feels like I did something to my left achilles tendon

Hi - It feels like I did something to my left achilles tendon yesterday while running. I can walk fine but if I hop on my left foot the pain is pretty high along the tendon. I'm a boxer and need to train, just not sure how I should change my routine to not further injure but not loose time. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Hello and welcome, Matt,

This is likely to be Achilles tendinitis; heel tendon inflammation. The fundamental principle of any injury to heal are following;

1) Avoid exertion for a while. So some modification to your routine has to be done, I am afraid.
2) Avoid painful activities. Pain is a protective phenomenon and tells us to avoid the specific movements.
3) Rest.
4) Support the tissue by an brace.
5) Local analgesic cream.
6) Ibuprofen.

Following may be the detailed treatment plan;

1) Moist heat or ice compresses; whatever suits you

2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

3) Local analgesic ointment /spray

4) Physical therapy

5) Deep electrotherapy like iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation etc.

6) Consideration of steroid shot

7) Shock wave therapy

8) Custom-fabricated inserts in shoe-wear

There is a new therapy called as autologous blood injection in which your own blood is injected at the pain site, is said to be quite effective. Shock wave therapy is available in sport medicine clinics or physical therapy clinics.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is shock wave therapy?

Hello Matt,

Shock waves are high energy waves which reduce the tissue inflammation faster and thus help in resolving the pain and facilitate the healing. This is available at physical therapy and sports medicine clinics.

It is privilege assisting you.