Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

About three months ago I noticed some annoying occurrences

About three months ago I noticed some annoying occurrences that have continually progressed. They were/are bloating, bowel irregularity (constipated or diarrhea), a pressure type feeling in my pelvis, random shooting pain on right side and pain in my lower back. I went to my GYN last week and had a pelvic exam and told her what has been going on lately.

Because of my history (stage II breast cancer) and family history (breast cancer and ovarian cancer), she recommended an ultrasound. Had the ultrasound and received results - they are: Endometrium is thickened with irregular margins and measures 1.7cm. There is a complex cyst on the left ovary measuring 3.1cm.

They want to do a wait/see approach. Have me come back in six weeks for a follow-up to see if there is any change. I had an ablation and tubal ligation done three years ago. Would the endometrium thicken that much after an ablation? Is a wait/see approach with my history wise? BTW: I tested negative for BRAC1/2 and am pre-menopausal.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

The ultrasound report suggests that the endometrium is sufficiently thickened and needs evaluation.

You should undergo endometrial biopsy and the tissue should be sent for cytological test in the lab to exclude endometrial cancer. so, this does not have to wait. You should contact your Obs/ gyne doctor once again and get the biopsy done at the earliest.

The complex cyst in your left ovary also needs evaluation although the ultrasound report does not itself suggest ovarian cancer. Tumor marker evaluation like Ca 125 should be done right away, instead of a wait and watch policy.

The bloating, bowel irregularity (constipation or diarrhea), pain on the right side could be due to IBS or irrritable bowel syndrome. You can however get a Ct scan of the abdomen done to exclude any bowel / intestinal pathology like infection/ inflammation.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information. I do a have a follow-up. Would an endometrial biopsy be accurate due to having an ablation three years ago?

Yes, the endometrial biopsy can show changes in the endometrial tissues due to ablation (like scar formation) as well as active tissue proliferation due to cancer. I personally feel as a physician that you should overlook a thickened endometrium at a pre menopausal age. ((Sorry for being so direct). You should convery my explanation to your obs gynae doctor.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Thanks for the accept.

It was wonderful assisting you. Have a good day.