Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

So Ive sprained my ankle (an xray just confirmed no minor

So I've sprained my ankle (an xray just confirmed no minor fracture). I'm currently in AFRICA and have been given paracetamol and ibuprofen for the pain. But I dont understand why they would give me Erythromycin to avoid infection. There is no open injury to the foot, so why would I be at risk of infection?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : I would agree with you. It would not be common practice( here in the US ) at least to prescribe an antibiotic with a closed injury with an ankle sprain. It is often that we see differences in practice even within the same system.
Anthony Bray MD : It is not surprising to see increased differences of practice in other systems....
Anthony Bray MD : I would guess that in general due to the more humid and warmer climate in general that they see more skin and skin structure infections in Africa vs the US.... They may have experienced a higher degree of complications with simple sprains....
Anthony Bray MD : There would be more fluid in the tissue in the ankle area for example and even a mosquito bite might increase the likelihood of introducing bacteria or other pathogens under the skin....
Anthony Bray MD : So on its surface I would agree with you that taking an antibiotic with an ankle sprain would seem unnecessary,....
Anthony Bray MD : I can't rule out the possibility of there being a possible valid basis behind the development of this practice in their system however....
Anthony Bray MD : personally I would feel curious and would ask....
Anthony Bray MD : I leave it to your best judgment as to take the antibiotic or hold off or just ask about its justification in this situation however....
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that this information helps !
Anthony Bray MD : let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray MD : if my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer:

Thankyou for your response. It was indeed helpful. When I asked as to why the antibiotics would be necessary with a closed injury where there would seem to be no risk, the reply I got was that while there is no infection risk, it is still to avoid any chance of infection. Maybe language was the barrier for any further explanation. I hadn't considered the mosquito bite factor or any of the other elements you mentioned. Thanks again! I am on Doxycyline as my anti malaria (accompanied with a probiotic), can I take Erythromycin (what they gave me) four times a day, and Doxy together.

Anthony Bray MD : Yes it would be Ok to take together. I suppose I would hold off on the erythromycin and watch the ankle closely.... That would probably be my personal preference. Use your best judgment in this!!
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this helps! I hope that you recover quickly from your sprain!! Let me know if you have further questions! Best regards!!
Customer:

Thanks! I have done exactly that. . . holding off on the anti's, and will watch it very closely. It seems much better today, just with being bandaged and elevated. Thanks again.

Anthony Bray MD : Hi again!
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that you continue on to a quick recovery. Most ankle sprains the first few days are the worst.....
Anthony Bray MD : Let me know if you have further questions. I'm glad to help to what extent that I can!
Anthony Bray MD : Take care!!
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice