Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

GeneralI have questions about hypnosis.

General
I have questions about hypnosis.
Hi--what are your questions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm looking for technique I can use in situations where I don't want to cry but can't stop myself.

Is there a way to suppress tears? It's not a medical issue, per se. We are a sensitive, loud, passionate, expressive family. It's a genetic trait -- we cry at the drop of a hat. Weddings, sad movies -- no problem. But there are times when I find it most inconvenient: job interview, jury duty.

I don’t need therapy and I don’t want to control or suppress the emotions I feel. My emotions are fine. What I want to address is how my body responds to those emotions.

Thoughts?

OK--have you talked to your doctor about this and is there a hypnotherapist in your community?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I have not. I assumed it was not within his area of expertise. I am not familiar with any hypnotherapists in San Diego, but there are a number of them listed in the phone directories.

I have spoken with my psychiatrist, who is an excellent psychopharmacologist. He is not aware of any medication that would help the situation, even if I took it prophylactically.

May I ask if you have a psychiatric condition that is being treated by your psychiatrist and, if so, are you on any medications for that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

fluoxetine - depression

budeprion - depression

lamotrigine - depression

OK--then I agree there is no other medication that might help with this--just one last question--did your psychiatrist have any suggestions as to how to handle this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, he had no suggestions.

OK--hypnosis might well work for you in this situation but it isn't easy to learn how to self-hypnotize without the aid of a professional hypnotist. Here's at least a link that can get you started

http://www.howcast.com/videos/472061-Hypnosis-How-to-Find-a-Good-Hypnotist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I appreciate the advice. I haven't watched the video yet, but I do intend to go to a professional than try self-hypnosis.

Can you tell me any success stories that you've experienced -- a friend, a colleague?

Not specifically with your problem but very good success with anxiety and panic attacks. I realize that isn't your problem but hypnosis is basically a technique of relaxation and emotional balancing and once you learn and practice the method, you can turn it on almost immediately and defuse any situation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That sounds very encouraging. Can you compare it to EMDR or the tapping technique (I don't remember the actual name of the procedure)? I have used EMDR frequently to great effect (I am an incest survivor). I've only tried the tapping a few times so I can't state whether it was helpful or not,

Somewhat along the same lines--a manner of distracting one's thoughts although hypnosis is a deeper and more comprehensive modality. If EMDR works for you, I feel certain hypnosis will do the trick with the crying
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that's reassuring. Thank you very much; I appreciate your time and your patience.

My pleasure--call on me any time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have EMDR sessions periodically with my psychotherapist (for other issues) that have been successful for dealing with old trauma. We've discussed whether it would be useful in this situation but have not tried it yet.

The other recommendation I've received is EFT tapping technique.

Are you familiar with these? Including hypnosis, do you have any sense where I should begin? Since the issue is situational and sudden, I'm not sure EMDR is appropriate.

thank you again!

I think hypnosis would be more effective--this isn't really an OCD/CBT/EMDR/EFT problem and I don't think any other modality would work as well for it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you so much. I don't know anyone who has used hypnosis, so I have only heard derisive "funny" comments. Same with EMDR, actually, and I'm sure the EFT providers get their share of ribbing, By the time I found EMDR, I was in so much pain I was willing to try anything that might help, even a witch doctor. To my delight it has given me some relief.

I don't have any additional questions. Besides the video, if you have any references to recommend, I'd like to see them. Otherwise, you've provided exactly what I hope to find when I use Just Answer -- good information presented in an understandable manner for a layperson without being condescending. I also appreciate that you have provided information not readily accessible on Wikipedia or a Google search. Some "experts" have actually offered that as their only response. Sheesh!

Thank you again.

Thanks for your kind words and I try. Here's another link and call on me anytime

http://www.ibshypnosis.com/hypnosisabout.html