Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

Hi, About 4 days ago a small pimple appeared on the underside

About 4 days ago a small pimple appeared on the underside of wrist. It was very itchy, so I just thought maybe it could've been a mosquito bite. However, the following day I noticed it getting larger, and pus filled, and another bump had appeared on the top side of my wrist (which was also very itchy). Thought it could be an allergic reaction to a bracelet.. so I stopped wearing jewelry. But now it's been 4 days and both bumps are large.. especially the first one, which has seem to widen a bit (about half an inch). Both bumps are itchy, have small clusters of pus filled bumps on them, and red. Similar to a poison ivy bump, but I haven't been near any plants. Recently I have started fishing and going to alot of yard sales (I buy cheap items like clothes, purses, knick knacks, etc.. and sell them for more). Could I have picked something up that way?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

You may have pimples or it may be a bacterial infection

Dr Brims :

If it does not spread over the next 3 days then it may not require treatment

Dr Brims :

If it continues to spread then it may require antibiotics

Dr Brims :

It is possible you came in contact with clothes or a person with this infection, but please keep in mind there is always bacteria on your skin

Customer:

Last night I began to see another pimple start near the area, so I have tried to cover all three areas with a band aids (trying to avoid scratching and spreading). The two larger bumps are very raised, like nothing I've seen before. Is there a special over the counter cream I should use? Or is the cortizone 10 fine?

Dr Brims :

Cortizone may help the itching but not the infection, neosporin cream may help the infection

Customer:

Also, should I leave the bumps alone? Someone told me I should pop them, but I think that would only spread the infection.

Dr Brims :

You should leave them alone and do not pop them

Dr Brims :

You may just use neosporin ointment on them

Customer:

I know I'm asking alot of questions here, I'm sorry:) I just have one more. I have bad habit of looking up medical diagnosis' online, and I've been worrying myself to death on whether or not this infection could be scabies? My parent's dog has started to lose a bit of it's fur on it's back side (they are taking her to a vet soon), and I do visit there quite a bit). Is there any possibility this infection could be that?

Dr Brims :

It is unlikely scabies

Dr Brims :

Scabies does not look like what you described

Customer:

Okay great:) Thank you so much. You've been very helpful!

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience