Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

Left leg is tender (painful when I touch it) from just above

Left leg is tender (painful when I touch it) from just above the knee to about half way up my thigh, on the inside. Feels bruised, but there is no mark and I don't recall hitting it on anything. Was fine yesterday, but when I woke up today it was sore.
Other info: female, 49 years old, no medication

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : First of all, does the area of pain have any redness of skin? Any an
Anthony Bray MD : abnormalan abnormal warmth to the skin here ??

No, I can't see anything there, not warm either

I have a few spider veins there, but no varicose veins

Anthony Bray MD : This sounds that it could be a muscle strain as one possible cause or a bruise( could be a deep or early bruise if not showing yet on the skin)

doesn't feel like a muscle strain - it only hurts when I touch it/press on it, not when I walk or move around

Anthony Bray MD : The area described would not be common for an infection under the skin or cellulitis but this would be important cause to ensure that it is not. A cellulitis would cause redness and would be warm and tender to light touch...

There's no opening/scratch/etc so I don't think an infection could get in.

Anthony Bray MD : if muscle strain then this would make the most sense to have no visible change on the skin and would probably hurt with specific leg movements that used the affected muscle.

ok, i will wait a few day and see it it improves/worsens/changes

Anthony Bray MD : Ok with it not really being aggravated with movement and having no visible signs it sounds potentially consistent with an early deep bruise perhaps. You may benefit to use an anti- inflammatory med such as Aleve 1 or 2 tabs twice a day with food....
Anthony Bray MD : I agree with watchful waiting as I would expect it to gradually improve over several days time....

ok thank you

Anthony Bray MD : If not better by a week or getting worse or other concerning symptoms then I would advise that you have your doctor check it....