Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I am 58 year old relatively healthy female. I have been on

I am 58 year old relatively healthy female. I have been on jinteli for approx. two years. Previously I was on femhrt for approximately five years. Dosage .5. I now want to discontinue hrt. How would I proceed and what side effects might I experience.
Hi--can I first ask why you were placed on HRT?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was having hot flashes, crankiness, and my period had stopped. My physician did some kind of test that showed I was in menopause.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was in menopause experiencing symptoms of hot flashes, night sweats, sleeping problems, irritability. My doctor performed a test and confirmed I was in menopause. He recommended hrt.

OK--you need to gradually taper yourself off the jinteli to avoid any sudden withdrawal side effects. I would have you take it every other day for a week, then every third day for a week, then once a week for another two weeks. That said, you really shouldn't taper yourself without discussing it with your doctor. With a slow taper like that, you shouldn't have a problem with hot flashes or mood swings