Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

times daily for 4 days (started april 12-16). Am I still safe

times daily for 4 days (started april 12-16). Am I still safe since I took antibiotic and had sex altogether during my pill free week (now having my period)? And I will start my new pack this 18th is it safe right away?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Customer:

Customer:

Welcome to Just Answer.

Customer:

Which antibiotic did you take?

Customer :

Hi doc I had bactrim 400mg (3 times daily for 4 days).

Customer:

When did you finish the antibiotic?

Customer:

When did you start period?

Customer:

I got the answer regarding antibiotic in your question, sorry.

Customer :

Im on pill free week from april 11 to 17. I take bactrim last april 12 and will end on april 16....I had my period yesterday.

Customer:

When you had period it is safe to start new pack.

Customer:

Bactrim usually does not affect the pills.

Customer:

Again you took it in pill free period.

Customer:

So, you need not to worry.

Customer:

You can start the new pack.

Customer:
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Customer:

If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know

Customer :

I will start new pack after my pill free interval right which is on the 8th day? With that am I protected right away? Im worried for the antibiotic if it still would affect my bcp

Customer:

The antibiotic will not affect the bcp.

Customer :

Ok so I can have unprotectwd sex right away as I stary my new pack?

Customer:

It will be excreted out of the body by that time.

Customer:

Yes, as you are taking pill regularly, you can have sex.

Customer :

My antibiotic will end april 16 and my new pack starts april 18. So im safe right away?

Customer:

Yes.

Customer :

Ok and one more thing I want to ask. During sex I usually bleed is it normal?

Customer:

Do you feel pain during sex?

Customer :

Just a little pain during sex but after the intercourse i feel pain and I think my opening gets sore

Customer :

It hurts for few days

Customer:

It is not normal to have bleeding during sex.

Customer:

There can be trauma.

Customer:

An inflammation, infection, cervicitis etc, can be there.

Customer:

I would suggest to get it checked by doctor.

Customer:

Please feel free to ask, if you have any further query.

Customer :

I guess inflammation doc. The vaginal opening particullarly near my anus is swollen

Customer :

then somehow I get uti after maybe bacteria getting inside

Customer:

Yes, it is possible to get inflamed.

Customer:

Did you get urine tested?

Customer :

Doc but you are sure bactrim 400mg wont affect my bcp? My boyfriend is coming on 20th which means we would have sex. It would be 4 days after taking bactrim.

Customer:

You should not worry about it. I am attaching a link on it.

Customer :

I didnt get my urine tested yet doc. But I will be having my ultrasound next month as suggested by another doctor as I am having irreg or small amount of bleeding only during my period

Customer:

Please get an urine analysis, ultrasound examination.

Customer:

An examination by a gynecologist will also be helpful.

Customer :

Yes doc I will...doc why is it some people told me that I should wait 7 days before unprotected sex as antibiotic stays on my system for 7days so it is unsafe...

Customer :

thats why I am so worried because my boyfriend would be coming in less than 7 days

Customer:

Half life of bactrim is about 8-10 hours.. It will be out in about 2 days. It will not stay in the system for 7 days

Customer :

Doc how can I prevent uti after intercourse? I have uti once a year only when my bf is visiting

Customer:

Sometimes UTI can occur after sex.

Customer:

You can have an urine analysis before to see whether there is an infection.

Customer:

Some measures like washing from front to back, taking plenty of fluid would be helpful.

Customer :

Ok doc. Thank you very much atleast im not worried now. Im just so worried about the bcp and antibiotics interfering though im on pill free week now. Or as it might cause conflict as soon as I take my next pack and have sex

Customer :

doc im protected right away as I start my new pack no need wait 7 days to have unprotected sex?

Customer:

I would advise not to worry about the interaction of bcp with antibiotic.

Customer:

No need to wait.

Customer :

Ok doc thank you so much. Now im relieved ;)

Customer:

To prevent uti after sex, please void urine soon after sex.

Customer:

This helps much,

Customer:
You are always welcome.
Customer :

I should avoid to urinaye after sex?

Customer:
No, you should urinate soon after sex.
Customer:

Stagnant urine invites infection.

Customer:

So better to empty bladder after sex.

Customer :

Ok doc I hope I will be well soon...I always feel sore inflammed after sex

Customer:

Yes, you should be in good health soon. Please follow the measures, I advised.

Customer :

Yes doc I will.

Customer:

Customer :

Il just take my bcp starting april 18 regularly everyday so il get protected the entire month

Customer:

Yes.

Customer :

doc what if I missed 1 pill but took it in less than 12 hours as soon as I have it remembered?

Customer:

Yes, you should take it as soon as you remember. Within 12 hours, it is usually ok.

Customer :

Doc my boyfriend will be leaving on april 29 by then can I stop taking my pillss? Or should I finish the entire pack?

Customer :

What would you suggest?

Customer:

It is better to finish the entire pack.

Customer:

Otherwise there can be irregular bleeding.

Customer :

I see. Doc if you were a first timer with bcp how long should I wait to make bcp effective?

Customer :

Since I take bcp only once a year when my boyfriend would be coming home

Customer:

If you take it for the first time, then you should use other protection like condom in the 1st week.

Customer :

I started taking my bcp 2 weeks before his arrival so if I do this every year im safe?

Customer:

If you start taking 2 weeks before, then it would be safe to have sex.

Customer :

Doc but next time if I get uti while on pills and I take bactrim at the same time is it safe?

Customer :

Since now I took it on pill free days thats why safer

Customer:

Usually the interaction is seen with rifampin. The interaction with other antibiotics is doubtful. Still for additional protection, you can use condom for those days.

Customer :

Doc I have question since I had unprotected sex pill free days, last april 12 and 3 days after I had my period...is it an indication that im not pregnant in any way?

Customer :

I had bleeding now which I think is my period. I had unprotected sex last 3 days ago. Am I safe?

Customer:

As you had period after sex, you are unlikely to be pregnant.

Customer:

I feel you should not worry.

Customer :

Doc what can you suggest if next time I would have uti again aftrr sex usually bactrim should be taken how many days? And dosage?

Customer:

This usually varies depending on the type.

Customer:

It can be given for a short course or it can be taken for 10 -14 days.

Customer :

Doc me and my boyfriend would be meeting this weekend. What if my uti will come back after the intercourse?

Customer:

You should have an urine test if you feel any symptom of UTI.

Customer :

Ok doc

Customer:

Then doctor can decide whether antibiotic will be necessary.

Customer :

But if I would be taking bactrim temporarily while on pill. I should be on back up method on those days...and how many days after finishing the antibiotic should I have unprotected sex?

Customer:

You should wait 2-3 days after finishing the antibiotic.

Customer :

Ok thank you doc I think I dont have further questions

Customer:
You are always welcome.

If you are satisfied, please leave an excellent rating.
Customer:

Best wishes.

Customer :

Thank you very much I am very much relieved now im not to worry anymore. Yes il leave you an excellent rating doc. Until next time.

Customer:

It’s been a pleasure working with you

Customer:

Good luck.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Doc I just like to ask, im taking my last tablet of antibiotic bactrim 400mg this morning (april 18 at 7am) and tonight I would be starting my 2nd pack of nordette bcp. Will I be safe right away? My boyfriend is coming this april 20 which is 2 days from now. Will the bcp work without antibiotic interfering? am I safe?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 12 months ago.
As you have taken BCP last month and had normal menstruation after that, bactrim will not reduce the effectiveness of the pill. It is safe.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Doc is it ok if I will continue taking bactrim since im getting well now and I think I should finish 7 days bactrim. But my question is this can I take it together with my bcp? Will i really be safe if i will have unprotected sex right away since im on bcp while also on bactrim?

As you are taking last tablet today morning, you can start BCP at night, so that there will not be any interaction between them.

I have given the websites stating which antibiotics interact with pills.

Still if you need to continue the Bactrim for longer period, then it is safer to use condom as a secondary precaution.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Doc im starting my bcp new pack tonight and still planning to continue taking bactrim. if I take bactrim at higher dosage 800mg twice daily, how many days should I wait before I could have unprotevted sex? 2 to 3 daysafter is enough?

You can wait 2-3 days after finishing the antibiotic to have unprotected sex.

By that time, the medicine would be out of the system.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thank you doc fir the immediate response.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Doc I took bactrim for uti...then after 3 days I felt better and I stopped taking bactrim. But now it is coming back should I continue it at a longer time? How many days should I take it usually now that it is the second time

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 11 months ago.
In simple bladder infection, 3-5 days antibiotic is usually ok.

In case kidney involvement, 1 to 2 weeks antibiotics can be needed.

I would suggest to have an urine test & culture.

Culture would help to find out which bacteria is there & which antibiotic would be better.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So can I try again taking bactrim of 1 full course and il taje it religiously for 1 week...will it still effect doc even if it is my second time around to take it?