Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

i have had chrohns for 15 years or more. i am on Humira and

Customer Question

i have had chrohn's for 15 years or more. i am on Humira and take some vitamins daily. I am not able to increase my weight any more. I dropped to 90 lbs after my surgeries when i was in septic. I was able to recover back to 140 with exercise and eating more. i DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO EXERCISE AS i USED TO, BUT NOW AM AT 128 all the time. i eat a lot, whether it's junk or healthy food, snacks, fruits u name it, but i move a lot, i have hih metabolism, always moving, always doing things so fast, even when i shower it takes me like 4 minutes. i can't help it. am always going up and down stairs, i have been on protein shakes but that hasn't helped me much. i don't know what to do, i want to increase my weight by another 10lbs at least. what should i do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
HI--first off how well is your Crohn's controlled? Any idea what your daily calorie intake is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No Chrohn's issues. I am Ok, no flares, I pretty much eat what I want. I never watch calories intake. I just eat all 3 meals, plus shakes sometimes, plus fruits, snacks, ice cream u name it. I am thin, been always thin, but been thicker than this too. mY FAMILY ISN'T THIN, THEY ARE ALL NORMAL.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--so you basically gained weight up to a point by the diet you are still on now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had no specific diet lol. I just gained because i was eating a lot and i was exercising. but now due to my job I am not able to exercise as much and therefore don't have the appetite as I used to. There are all kinds of things out there for loosing weight but I can't find something for opening or increasing appetitie out there that i can trust and try.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. So you're saying that you couldn't eat any more now even if you tried? And I assume you've had your thyroid functions and your cortisol levels checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I just don't have the appetite to eat a big breakfast or lunch as I used to. When I gain weight it is very noticeable, expecially my face, and I can loose so much weight by not eating good for 2 days. It's a curse, but some people say am lucky lol. Not sure I am.

I had a check up with my GI not long ago and they always do all kind of blood tests due to my condition. i ALSO HAD A RECENT BLOOD DRAW CAUSE i HAVE HAD HEADACHES AND THEY ALSO FOUND NOTHING. HAD AN MRI TO SEE IF ANY TUMORS OR BLEEDING IS IN MY HEAD, AND ALL WERE NORMAL.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK Just one more question--why that particular goal? Why 140?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I look normal at 140. 128-130 I am immediately noticed to be thin. I can see it and others too. When I weight about 140 I had that urgency to eat more and to stay that way. Now I don't have it anymore. And it affects my confidence. 140+ is what I want.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. I'd first suggest you try nutrient dense products like Ensure as a way to increase you calorie intake in addition to what you're eating now. As for an appetite stimulant, Megestrol--Megace--is a prescription medication for doing that in patients with a poor appetitite--usually cancer and HIV patients. Used for a short period of time it would stimulate your appetite and help you reach your goal but I suggest you discuss all this with your doctor.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

any OTC stuff? I used to take Ensure all the time i STOPPED FOR A WHILE. tHIS STUFF IS EXPENSIVE! I will talk to my doctor when i SEE HIM. THANKS!