Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

What could possibly be the cause of recurrent acute abdominal

What could possibly be the cause of recurrent acute abdominal spasms that double me up in pain, I sweat profusely and feel very nauseous? I loosen my belt and try to lay down, no position really helps. No triggers identifiable. Random occurrence. May be once in 3 or 4 months then 1-2 episodes back to back.I thought it was my fibroids but have since had a hysterectomy. My gynecologist thought it was adhesions but at the hysterectomy, there were no adhesions. I am a physician too so you know this has me stumped. Help!
Hi--can you tell me more about the pain? Where exactly is it located? Any problem with bowel movements when you have it? What about tests--scopes, ct scans, etc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Maybe central abdomen but the pain is so severe and diffuse anyway. Prior to the hystectomy, after the acute pain I would have lie what I can only describe as a mild to moderate peritoneal irritation that needed pain killers for about 3 days, with slowing of my gut . Without the pain killers the slowing of my gut and peritoneal irritation would go on for 7 to 10 days. All my scans and ultra sounds just said the fibroids which are gone now. endoscopy was for my reflux only and hiatal hernia.

So you haven't had colonoscopy? What about an H pylori screen?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

already treated for that with the triple therapy. no colonoscopy. Its acute and accompanied by vasovagal type symptoms lasts about 3-5mins. gone on for years. thankfully naybe 4-5 times a year. ony thing i didnt think of is gall bladder type symptoms

OK--stick with me just a little longer here. Have you had an MRI of the abdomen and I forgot to ask whether you still have your ovaries?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes still have the ovaries. They are shriveled as you'd expect for a 47 yr old. No MRI of abd. Gynae said no adhesions
OK. And we can continue if you need after this. I do think you need the MRI and I'd still consider adhesions as the problem. That said of course this could be irritable bowel syndrome but to consider that you need the colonoscopy. I might also consider Crohn's which can be difficult to diagnose. Finally, although unlikely, I'd consider carcinoid syndrome and I would get urine and blood tests for that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I appreciate your time.

Entirely my pleasure--any time, but please let me know how it goes with you