Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

Is it better to take a probiotic at night or in the morning

Is it better to take a probiotic at night or in the morning if it's a one a day pill?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Saha :

Dr. Saha :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Dr. Saha :

When did you start taking it?

Dr. Saha :

Are you taking any other medicine?

Customer:

I haven't started yet. I got the phillips brand I believe, pink box, 1 a day.

Customer:

I currently take prevacid and zyrtec daily in the morning.

Customer:

occassionally I take fioricet for tension headaches

Dr. Saha :

It can be in the morning or at night.

Dr. Saha :

You can take it in the morning.

Dr. Saha :

But better to avoid with hot drink like tea, coffee.

Customer:

I'd take it in the morning, can I take it with my zyrtec and prevacid or should I space them out.

Dr. Saha :

Please take it plenty of water.

Dr. Saha :

Please space it.

Dr. Saha :

You can take prevacid before breakfast & probiotic sometime after breakfast.

Customer:

ok that sounds good. does it take time for the probiotic to start working?

Customer:

also, should it be taken around the same time each day?

Dr. Saha :

It is better to keep a fixed schedule but not necessarily same time. A few hours variation is ok.

Customer:

ok perfect..are probiotics really helpful? I'm hoping it helps me with digestion issues - gas, bloating, things like that mainly...could it take time to start working?

Dr. Saha :

They may take a few days to start working.

Dr. Saha :

They help to maintain normal or healthy flora.

Dr. Saha :

Sometime, it can cause bloating initially.

Dr. Saha :

In that case, you can take it at night.

Customer:

ok...I'll start it tomorrow and go from there, I can always swap to night time and then switch back if needed...thanks for your help.

Dr. Saha :

Yes, you can swap it as necessary.

Dr. Saha :

You are always welcome.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience