Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I am having extremely bad intense pain under my rib cage on

I am having extremely bad intense pain under my rib cage on both sides. It's not my spleen, gallbladder, stomach or colon. I've had cts, my gallbladder is removed, blood tests, etc & they have no idea what it is. It hurts to breath when the pain gets really bad. I have tried everything but nothing seems to make it better or worse. It just comes & goes. More lingers now than ever. Any ideas? I'm hurting so bad some days I can't move!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi. How often to you get this and how long does it last? Any relation to eating or anything you do eat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has no relation to eating. Nothing seems to make it better or worse. It's been going on for 6 months. Now for the past 5 weeks it has been a constant pain but dull...it just gets very bad, more now than ever, at random times.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--any change in bowel habits? Have you been screened for H pylori infection? Has celiac disorder been considered? What about Crohn's disease?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My bowel movements have been normal. Nothing unusual. I don't think I've been tested or screened for any of those tests. Should I call my dr and have him do them?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, let me ask you just one more thing--your doctors haven't had any thoughts as to a possible diagnosis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I am aware of. He wants to send me to a lung specialist on account of him thinking it may be a lining in my lung but I don't smoke, have never had an issue with breathing at all. Just when the pain is very bad it hurts to breath. So I think he's going out on a limb for some answers.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So the pain is more in a pattern of running along the course of your ribs and not really in your abdomen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On both sides of my ribs at the bottom & near the sternum. But not in the back area of my ribs. Also when the pain is bad if I touch (just the left side) the side of my ribs it's tender & feels bruised.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. I still think you need to be studied for the conditions I mentioned but this sounds more like a chest wall problem (not your lungs). You potentially could have a disk problem in the thoracic spine or an intercostal nerve compression where the ribs meet your spine, but you may also have costochondritis--inflammation of the cartilage that connects the ribs to the sternum. If that were the case, I'd send you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a customized treatment program for this.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice