Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

For Dr. Chip, 47 yr midwestern menopausal Olive Garden friend

For Dr. Chip, 47 yr midwestern menopausal Olive Garden friend dealing with hormone imbalance. Last week I began getting nausiated, hot and sweaty after orogesterone so docs thought it was time to add the estrogen as my level was 28. My progesteroine blood drop test came back very low too but I don't have the numbers. So I requested the estrogen wich took a day to pick up so I skepped a day of prog. Used bothe estrogen and progesterone and the next day started bleeding. Now what?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hey--so you only missed the progesterone by one day? How many days on the estrogen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This was after only one dose that I used in the afternoon and by the next morning, I started spotting. Yes, I only skipped one dose of progesterone. And though it is hard to say what day I was on since I skipped my last two periods I thought the day I skipped was 13 and the day I started spotting on day 15. Naturopath said to stop estrogen;not the problem she said. And to go ahead and use the progesterone even though I am spotting but it is such a habit to stop it when I start spotting it feels uncertain to me so I wanted to ask your opinion. I proably would feel better if I used it but I don't want to stop it but I think you once told me it wouldn't. What do you think?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Why did the naturopath tell you to stop the estrogen and did she prescribe it for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, she prescribed it . Not sure but I think she thinks the problem is more the low progesterone level. She thought it might be from stress; converting it to cortisol or from where I applied it- calves the last time.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I have to ask again--why do you put so much confidence in the naturopath?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now you sound like my husband. I am planning to get another opinion but for now do you think I should use the progesterone as I am really not feeling well? Do you think a gunecologist could help me balance them better?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I think you need either a gynecologist or an endocrinologist simply because to give you estrogen and then suddenly change her mind just doesn't sit right with me. At this point you need both the estrogen and the progesterone. Sorry to sound like your hubby but seriously naturopaths, while they have their place in medicine, sometimes are out of their league with certain problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I hear you. I'll get going on it asap but meanwhile...what should I do... or how can I get through til then?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
What's the worst part right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

burny head and not sleeping which usually means low progesterone- i think so I think I want to use that and see how I feel. Will it stop my period if it wants to start and create a bigger problem or not?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Don't be concerned about your period right now--that really isn't important. You need to keep on with both the progesterone and the estrogen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, Doc. Dose of estrogen is alot less than what you mentioned but we'll see how it goes. Are you off to a movie?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not this weekend but I do want to see 42--about XXXXX XXXXX.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, I think I briefly heard about that. Have a good evening. Enjoyed the piano piece especially, the Winter Wind one. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
One more for you--one of his most beautiful melodies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrD1ZaNwdsU
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Dr. Chip, I used both the progesterone and estrogen yesterday and by evening my head was better. However, I woke with nuimbness in my hand and other CNS symptoms and there is no doubt in my mind that this is hormone related as it was a dramatic change. So I am on the hunt for the best gyno nearby and will make a lab appt. to get levels checked and maybe a GP appt. too. Still having what I would call sea breeze sensations and so I think I am going to do the progesterone and see how I feel and then maybe the estrogen. Could it be a side affect that will go away or probably from the imbalance? I won't hold you to it just want your educated opinion. Know I am in unfamiliar and uncertain territory and asking God and others to direct my path. Still wonder about the thyroid and what it might be doing by now. I requested levels again last time but they act like a don't need it checked for awhile. I disagree and think I have an unusual case and it doesn't hurt to have that info.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just to be clear again--what other CNS symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hnnd was numb upon waking but went away after moving around, sea breeze sensations in both hands and feet off and on and even a little in the face. Definately directly or indirectly the addition of estrogen, dramatic.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So basically, say, two days ago you didn't have any of this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This was a definate change. I have had much milder, similar things way back before the progesterone if I am remembering corrrectly.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--really and truly, just one application of the estrogen wouldn't have raised your estrogen levels very much so I don't think we can lay this just on that. I think it's more of the low progesterone problem so I'd advise you to stay the course for now both with the estrogen and with the progesterone
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. I know it doesn't fit the norm but it is what I am experiencing. This is why I am at the naturopath- because it doesn't seem to make sense even to me. Perhaps there is much to learn from my suffering at least this is my hope. Something is just not right yet.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well I still thing you need a thorough going over with an endocrinologist to connect all the dots here. Again, nothing against the naturopath but I think she should admit she's out of her league when it comes to your problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know it is over time to do something differently- trying to make it past my daughter's graduation but I don't think I can wait anymore. I will keep you posted if you don't mind.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No problem--always good to talk to my Olive Garden friend. One more tune for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq7ncjhSqtk
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Dr. Chip, Thanks for thinking of me. Haven't been doing well. Hubby trying to find a good gynocologist and see if the one I picked is on our insurance. Dry mouth again. Wondering if now the lowered estrogen is affecting my adrenals. My mouth had gotten back to normal somewhere in there. I thought maybe it was the iron. Not sure. Still having CNS symptoms here and there. Definated change for the worse lately. Don't know how long it will take to get in to see someone. Mya end up at the ER. They can check levels, right? Thyroid?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Dry as in no saliva?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Very dry eyes and dry mouth. I remember having it when I first started asking you questions- maybe last summer? I am still experiencing menstruation but it is a strange one. Started last Friday I think spotting and was mostly brown until yesterday/today. Maybe it is still low progesterone again. Who knows. Sad about Boston. Seems like our flags are mostly flying half staff all the time.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Don't think the dry eyes and mouth are related to the hormones or to the adrenals. Doesn't sound thyroid either. Diabetes possibly but I know you don't have that. I'm surprised it's been so long since anything like Boston happened. Some cold blooded monsters out there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know. I thought I heard that one of them set the bomb down right in front of that young boy. I have to wonder how a person's mind could be so poisoned or twisted into that capability. I genuinely hurt over it. I remember many years ago when a bus blew up in Isreal and my father talking about how crazy it was and I remember feeling thankful it wasn't in our country but now it seems to be. Selfishness. Evil. But good overcomes evil and so I must strive to get better so I can do more good. And I am trying. Maybe the dryness could be sinus related? I did get a workover from an endocrinologist not that long ago. so I am going to try the gyno although I think my naturopath is Multi- system you know so I see her as a step better. But it doesn't hurt to get another opinion. Maybe regular HRT but I thought bio was better. Remember 'you are not resonsible for my well being. Mine is a strange case for sure. My husband tells me it will get better. Sure hope so.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I still think you're OK with the bioidenticals. The dryness I think is allergy/sinus related.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Maybe you are right. I know this flies against science and everything but with my genetic history, I still think it is thryoid even if the numbers don't show it and I may have to try to convince some Dr. to let me try it like you suggested. It was your first inclination and I still think it! Maybe we'll figure it out yet . Goodnight Doc, Chip.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--keep me posted and here's one more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9D2aHiFpdk

Too bad we lost him--saw him once in concert
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Doc, Do you think it is okay to take a bath now that I am using the estrogen? I think somewhere I was told not to get it on the breast area and really just forgot about it but I figure it was absorbed enough it shouldn't hurt anything. How about laundry for my husband and son's sake? Any concern? Couple hours between using the two hormones today as I had to pick up my son and lost track of time so I used one befor I picked him up and one after. Figure nature might do it that way anyway? Hope it is no big deal. My daughter is in the play tonight so I am looking forward to that. Feeling a little better. However, she likes to play the nasty parts and she is pretty convincing. There is this one parent who usually says to her, "It is like that part was made for you.: Not sure it is a compliment. Ah well such is life. What is up with you?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry--I was off line--let me know when you're back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No problem. I have to goi for the play anyway and you are probably busy too. I meant is there any problem taking a bath versus a shower? With estrogen on skin and all

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No problem either way so long as you put the cream on after the bath or shower or at least not take either for at least two hours after applying the cream
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thanks! Have a nice evening:) Bet you are on the keys:)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Indeed I am--Bach and Satie for tonight--restful. Keep in touch as always
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Dr. Chip, Couldn't wait to report how much better I have been feeling with the addition of just a little estrogen. Stress is really reaching max level now with Prom and Graduation,etc. so I imagine it will affect everything. More moody than usual- not sure if tha is because of low or high estrogen but think it related to estrogen. CNS symptoms- strange sensasations here and tthere as it gets time to redose it seems anyway- trying to notice everything. Wondering if science could create some new ovaries from stem cells or something again as this phase of my life really stinks at times but then I try to remember the gifts in it like not taking anything for granted and friendship and the patience of my husband and hope I would be as understanding in return. Wondering if this is a good time to ask you a question. Hope I am not interupting some beautiful music. Is my natural estrogen likely to go even lower and I am going to need more estrogen? Naturopath said to work up to more.. Also, trying to pick a good gyno to get second opinion and asking around so as not to get in a bigger mess than I am already in. Will stress cause me to need more hormone? I feel like a science experiment. This upcoming month is the one I have been fearing and I need to try to change my perspective as it is suppose to be one of celebration. My latest estrodial was 36 Progesterone d1.5 and the ratio was 42 whatever all that means

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hey--glad to hear you're feeling better. Let me ask you something--don't you know a lot of women who have gone through menopause and at present aren't on HRT and are doing just fine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, I have asked women at church and they tell me they are just fine and I honestly can't understand how they can be or why I am not but it does give me hope that maybe someday it might possibly be that way for me or is that what you might be trying to convey to me?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well you were talking about the possibility of replacing your failing ovaries with perhaps new, albeit temporary ones so I just wanted to make sure that you understand that the symptoms in perimenopause and early menopause don't last forever
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ah, thanks. I need to be reminded of that:) I want to talk to the manufacturer. Ha! Have been actually. I tell him I think I have suffered my share of the curse and I am sorry for whatever my ancestry did against Him. Sure hope my daugher will be spared this ride. Never lamented being female before even after childbirth but this did it! Ha! How have you been? What is your favorite Doctor memory or can you share?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My favorite memory? That's a hard one. I have had patients or their families thank me for saving their lives but I've always had to say that I didn't actually save their lives since I don't have that power--all I can do is do my job and leave the rest up to you-know-who
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do but He did it through you - a willing vessel and so in my opinion gratitude of some degree is due you:) Yes, that would be a wonderful memory. I have learned to keep good ones at hand. Even better are a few scriptures for when times get really tough. That was my best piece of advice at the retreat I helped host a few years ago. So this is something I can offer you or maybe you have already done so but if not please do. Pick a scripture and memorize so you can remember it in crisis - you know the Be still one or I Can Do all things through Christ one. I think that is why the church has so much repetition or at least it seems plausibl to me. We all think we know them but when something big happens we need it to be second nature. there is definate power in those words:) So glad you told me to keep up with the estrogen. It felt like agood rain after being in the desert. Of course, I feel things about ten times greater than most people, it seems there is also such a huge spectrum for me . I can be almost not functional to feeling pretty good within hours. depending I should be writing out invitations although my daughter has already invited 500 people through social media. Trying to figure out how many I should actually plan on feeding. I have a feeling it is going to get interesting. Better keep those hormones and scripture close:) What is new with you?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not much really--just piano you know. I think that God works through music to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Without a doubt and art as well:) Salt - to make life or menopause or hurting patients bearable. Goodnight Doc. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
On more for you--really one of the most spiritual ones I know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOA-2hl1Vbc
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

For Dr. Chip, still kicking and made it through the party etc. The first two weeks of May I felt like I had chronic fatigue as I did not even have the energy to e-mail teachers etc. The next two weeks were filled with party and grad have to s. My daughter graduated and I only cried through pomp and circumstance. Relatives either didn't come or behaved and God must have walked me through it all. I couldn't decide on a different doctor so decided to stay the course as I have finally been feeling a little more normal somehow. I have been on both progesterone 4% i/2 ml and a little estrogen non stop for a long time now as a period never came. The last one was for about two weeks in April. I could not imagine going off either in May so I didnt. Hope that is okay. My next appt is at the end of June. Is there any problem staying on both nonstop for awhile. I am feeling better that way. But I remember GP wanting to keep me bleeding. I was so focused on my daugter and this whole grad thing that I decided to deal with my stuff later and now it is finally later. Enjoyed the Chopin- favoite classical piece for me now. Reminds me of my journey. How are you?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--I was off so let me know when you're back so we can chat a bit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am back. Good to hear from you:)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Good to hear from you too. So your concern is the lack of a period?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, I remember GP saying she wanted me to keep bleeding but I don't know why. My main concern is how I feel and I am definately better than I was so I am happy about that but am wondering if there are other issues I am unaware of and if it is okay to use the hormones nonstop. I think i understood you can from somewhere but don't remember where and am a bit unsure although I am not sure wild horses could make me as I am really better.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
There's absolutely no problem with your continuing the course like you are now and it doesn't matter about the periods since your uterine lining is likely becoming unresponsive to the hormones.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay now I want to celebrate a bit:)!!!! Soooo happy to hear that. So this non period so to speak may continue even if they up my dose? Now that I am feeling better I am scared to go to another Dr. as it keeps getting better and I don't want to mess it up, you know? God really came through just in the nick of time as I was ready to try something different. I lost one of my faith, hope and love rings again and again I found it, this time in the garage. It is like the fifth time I have lost one everwhere from JC Penny's to the car to the washing machine etc. so i know I am meant to have them and feel I can take it all personally.

I knew you would be happy for me that I am better and I am beginning to believe that this won't last forever. Many of the CNS things are gone or much milder so I have great hope that this is what it is and that normal life is returning. It is like the sun coming out or the notes harmonizing, this balancing of hormones thing.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Fantastic. I don't think there's really anything that's just a coincidence--but now God needs to work with you on your absentmindedness
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ha! I could use work in alot of different areas:) I know I forgot to acknowledge my birthday somewhere in there as I am now a 48 yr. old midwestern Olive Garden friend with a milder spectrum of menopausal symptoms:) I am sure I will have more questions as my brain seems to be regenerating as well. This thing was far more "brain" than medicine seemed to know.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I'll look forward to the next questions. This on is just for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nauLgZISozs
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)