A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

Can you get HIV if there is infected blood in your coffee.

Answers provided are for informational use only and do not confer patient-provider relationship. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you.

There's never been a case of HIV infection in that fashion reported in the literature. The heat of the coffee would likely have destroyed any active virus (assuming the person were infected). The instance of any kind of oral transmission of HIV is also low, even with sex. It requires HIV infection plus open sores on the mucosa of the mouth.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks. Is it true that the virus would have probably been deteriorated as well because of the fact if was out of the host for a good amount of time. Sorry, I was kind of worried after I seen that on my lid.

Yes, time is important, but also the heat of the coffee is a factor in rapid inactivation of the virus. All viruses are fairly picky about their environment and scalding coffee isn't a good growth medium.

Kind regards,