Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Before I leave my room office I keep looking at the back picture

Customer Question

Before I leave my room office I keep looking at the back picture of an action figure large toy box. Then I lean to left to view the front but then the back picture is not visible of course. If I look at the back of the box and walk away without looking at it again does that affect anything negative in my body or affects heart or is this just a normal or anxiety worry of rechecking in this case I did not rechecking the back of the box.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi again. Let's cut to the chase this time. Why do you seem to need so many of us to tell you time and again that nothing you do when it comes to this focussing on objects or your feet or whatever will ever affect your body in any way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Validation because it gives me peace of mind
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
But really it doesn't seem to work that way because you keep having to have the validation. What I'm getting at is were are you now with your CBT therapy? The idea behind that is to get the validation on your own without having to have a doctor validate it for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I am starting cbt new this time my former therapist was adlerian. Sorry to ask again but not looking back at back of box was okay when walking out of room?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Nothing to apologize for. Absolutely no harm done here and again, no certain way of looking at something or certain motions to do so will ever cause any harm to any part of your body
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Chip so even when I did not lean over to check the back of the box again to stop Ocd and walked away that was okay and safe as well?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Perfectly OK--we just can't hurt ourselves by doing anything like that. Any time you can break the OCD behavior consciously is fine and does absolutely no harm
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Chip I am having a bad day I began to stare at light over kitchen sink then forced myself to walk away even though heart was beating fast and sorry to ask was it safe to walk away quickly so not to keep repeating cycle? I am using cbt now I have to believe it is safe thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Still no problem--it won't hurt your heart to force yourself to break the cycle when you have these OCD moments
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel like crying the Ocd compulsions are so bad today but I am fighting them. Why is diversion and not looking so hard? I am avoiding anything to start Ocd cycle. Can stomach get upset from anxiety?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Tell me exactly what you're thinking before you ever begin to, say, focus on an object or whatever.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am fearing something may go wrong with my heart function even though that is false thinking it still pops in my head
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, I mean before you think of focusing on something, what's going on in your head just before that? And how often a day does this happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning I kept turning light switch off and on and thoughts of it affecting my heart started again. I ended up leaving switch on an walked away. My heart was beating a little fasterbut there is no connection to heart and light switch?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No connection at all, but, again--what were you thinking just before you started fiddling with the switch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking of switch affecting my heart so could that increase heart rate?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, I mean right before you even started thinking about the switch what were you thinking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thinking of fearing to leave condo
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So basically your in an anxious state when you start to do these OCD things?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes very anxious
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And have you been taught any relaxation exercises to help to get over that feeling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Breathing I have to learn
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
What about lying down and sequentially flexing and relaxing things--beginning with your toes and slowly moving up your body?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You need to work on that so you can ease the anxiety before the OCD actions occur
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning I kept staring at black thread on my brief shorts this was very embarrassing and I tried to laugh it off but I kept having fear if I stopped looking too quick at thread it would affect my heart. Was this just another outlet of my anxiety and Ocd? I did eventually stop looking at thread but I feel compelled to look at it again
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It's all just OCD and anxiety and it won't affect your heart or your body in the least
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning I kept opening and closing door on small microwave oven because my anxiety was telling me if light goes off after you close the door shut it will affect the heart so is this false thoughts again?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's false--doesn't affect the heart or the body one iota
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Staring at a buckle on inside of jeans cannot hurt anything as well? Sorry to ask?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Starting at anything can't hurt you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it best I force myself to look away when the staring starts?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--don't continue the OCD activity
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I woke up my heart was beating a little faster and I hesitated turning my head to left to look at two alarm clocks I then turned left then looked straight again wad this harmless and anxiety getting up? Turning your head when your heart is beating fast away from alarm clock is still safe?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes and I can't overemphasize this--NO movement, action, thought process--NOTHING like any of those will ever harm the heart or the body in any way
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Chip still fighting anxiety today this time walking away from looking at wall phone I know this sounds ridiculous but these thoughts keep telling Mr something wrong but I know it cannot have hurt my heart
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Again--that can't possibly hurt your heart
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Chip even if a negative song like saying the heart will stop beating is just a false negative thought that is harmless to the heart?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--harmless and sing an upbeat song
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am having trouble closing the lid cover that covers my sleep apnea machine water chamber. There are two screws on each side of the machine that I keep staring at and when the cover is closed you cannot see them. My anxiety makes me think something will be affected if I close that lid and not see the screws how can I get over this?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Again, your anxiety is still trying to find an outlet any way it can. This can't possibly hurt your heart or anything else and again you need to move away from the situation the minute you begin to have the thoughts. Hey--this page is getting too long so we need to close it with a rating please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to conclude am I better off closing lid and not keep reopening it to look at screws?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely--looking at the screws accomplishes absolutely nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having a hard time today with looking at size label on box. Would it be best if I try to ignore the print on the box? Again even though I may feel anxious and anxiety over repeatedly looking this is separate from heart functions?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just ignore the label or even cover it with some tape and not that can't possibly harm your heart
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Chip should I keep telling myself heart is separate from vision functions?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Of course and remember what we said about the heart transplant and that the heart does fine on its own without any input from the nervous system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Chip is lifting legs and touching ground with feet safe for the heart even if heart is beating. Little fast?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It's called walking or ambulating (LOL) and perfectly safe for all of us
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I was doing this motion from a sitting position and squeezing my left hand to feel my pulse so that was also harmless setting foot down even if heart was beating a little faster just anxiety and I should probably laugh ?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes laugh and stop with the pulse checking too. Harmless--entirely harmless
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it safe to put your left foot down on ground firmly even if your heart is beating fast when getting ready? Sorry to ask this
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Perfectly safe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Chip and also if I force myself to walk quickly by a sign in a room so I don't stare is that ok also? The setting of the left foot has no effect on heart even though it is beating fast?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No effect whatsoever with the foot thing. And safe ti walk quickly by the sign
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Chip having anxiety over feet being extra sensitive while standing on ground for some odd reason does paying attention to feeling of feet on ground affect heart function or is heart function completely separate?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Heart function is completely separate and again no harm done. Hey--this page is very long so let's close with a rating and get back to me if you need on a new page
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can closing door have any effect on the heart functions? Or is this false anxiety because vision and heart are separate?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely no effect and, seriously, there isn't going to be any action or viewing or whatever you can come up with that will ever change my answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dr Chip so again this is an example of vision and heart being separate? And this is just anxiety?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just anxiety and your thoughts--vision and heart are totally separate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning I kept hesitating to lower the toilet bowl lid because I feared that when you cannot see the bottom bottom screws that will affect my body but that is false because heart and vision are separate?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
As I've told you numerous times before there is no association whatsoever between vision and the heart
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning in shower I began to worry if the way my feet were positioned on ground was affecting my heart. There is no connection again? Also when I was walking in the kitchen towards a painting on wall I hesitated slightly looking then turned the opposite way and felt my heart beat faster is that harmless as well?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No connection whatsoever and the looking the opposite way was also harmless
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This morning I kept lifting and setting down three table knives is this harmless to heart functions even if repeated? If feel sensation in chest when I set them down is this just anziety again and harmless?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just anxiety and the movements had nothing to do with heart function. Hey--this page has gotten too long and we need to close it with a rating please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last question before I close page can turning light switch on and off affect anything or is heart separate functioning from that certain motion of turning switch on and off?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--no connection to the heart at all and like I've told you many times before there are no specific movements--body or vision or whatever--that ever affect the heart