Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

If you contracted hep c from someone would you have the same

If you contracted hep c from someone would you have the same genotype and viral load as the person you contracted this virus from? If a person has a low hep c viral load is it less likely for that person to transmit the virus to you?

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Yes, it will be the same genotype.

mysticdoc :

The viral load will vary however.

mysticdoc :

Due to the body's immune response, the viral load may not be high initially.

mysticdoc :

yes the risk of hep C transmission is low with low viral load.

Customer:

can the hep c virus live outside of blood? Can the virus still live on a surface if you cleaned it up with just soap and water and if it can, if you touch that area can you transfer the virus to other objects like counter tops or door knobs?

mysticdoc :

Hi there, I think we discussed this earlier.

mysticdoc :

I will opt out for another expert ( for a second opinion).

Customer:

ok

Hi--let me help out here. What questions do you still have that haven't been covered by the other expert?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The virus can live outside the body for some time but you can't contract it in the way you mention and you can't transfer it to other surfaces. The only way the virus can be contracted, if at all, when it's outside the body is from using, say, the same toothbrush as someone with hep c or using the same razor blade that contains that person's blood on it and by cutting yourself with that blade
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what about if you touched dried hep c blood that you may have missed cleaning up, could that be transferred to other objects like countertops or door knobs?

No, you really can't do it like that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I just an operation on a very large basal cell. Its still bleeding a little and I'm getting a little blood on shirts and linens and my comforter. In your opinion, what is the best way to wash these items at home? Will throwing them through regular wash hot or cold wash be sufficient to get rid of the virus and then drying them on the hot cycle in the dryer?

No problem there--just a hot wash and a hot drier setting will eradicate any hep c virus if it were present in the blood and in the linens and clothes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Some sites say to use a cold water cycle first with bleach and then a hot wash? I'm just getting so confused and don't want to transfer this virus if I have it to my kids.

My last exposure to hep c was with my ex-girlfriend who had just found out she tested positive for hep c. We were together for 7 years. The last time we were together though I had a pimple I squeezed at the top of my shaft just before we had intercourse. There was some blood present on my part, but she says she was not bleeding. A week later I went for hep profile test for a,b and c and it came out negative. From the exposure I explained, what are the odds I might have pick this virus up as I'm still in the window period and very worried. Its been about three months now. My liver specialist didn't seem to concerned as he said even if she was bleeding and I was bleeding from the pimple, it would almost have to be injected into my system. Do you agree with this? I don't think she was bleeding though during intercourse.

Bleach would help of course but just a hot wash and dry will do. From your description there would be only an extremely low chance that you contracted the virus but the best way to be sure is to be retested now
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would a hot wash first coagulate the blood or should I not be concerned?

No concern at all--the wash will both kill and eradicate any virus if it were present but since I don't think you have the virus you really don't need to worry. Please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just one more question about transferring the virus to other objects like door knobs and counter tops before I rate your excellent service. I do believe in what you are saying but there are some reports, studies out there that contradict what most doctors, not all are saying about this. Should I just ignore these sites and think they are only theoretical risks at best? I don't even understand half of what is written because I am not a scientist. Thank you so much for your time!!!

I understand and the problem with doing your own medical research on line is that you can't separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak--hard to tell exactly what's being said. Let's just put it this way--you don't transfer the virus from one surface to another once the blood has dried and even if it hasn't dried, the virus wouldn't be in a position to infect anyone else.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would the transferring of the hep c virus through dried semen also hold true that is impossible transfer if you touched it and then touched something else?

Same answer--no transference would be possible
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)