Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Why cant i just sleep like normal people do

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Is this just a recent problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Usually i just would have problems with sleeping once or twice a week. But lately its been every night.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And you don't sleep any during the day?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not usually. On the weekend ill take a nap. On thursday i took a 3 hour nap. But usually i dont
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, one thing that will help is forcing yourself to stay awake during the day. Usually sleep disturbances like this resolve but they linger if you make up for the lack of sleep with taking naps in the daytime
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont nap wgen i dont work. I generally go to bed at 10ish and am up at 430
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not much more to say about the subject--usually this does work itself out in time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me how someone decides if someone has a somatic illness
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not an easy diagnosis to make but basically you have to rule out all the possible causes for the symptoms. Pain can't be quantified so that can be in the mix. Another thing would be symptoms that are described by the patient but can't be verified with the physical exam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dr said my stomach pain is somatic
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well in that case you do have clinical evidence that there can be a cause for that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even my gi dr says he cant find any reason for me to have pain anymore
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well--botXXXXX XXXXXne here, and I believe you when you describe your pain--only you know if the pain is real so it really doesn't matter that the one doctor calls it somatic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do you believe me
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
There really would be no reason for you to tell me about it in a format like this if you didn't actually have it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im glad that someone believes me about it. Do you still think that Mayo clinic is the place to go
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--one of the best
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of stuff do you think they will do? The same dr who told me my pain was somatic told me theres ni real point in going to mayo
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well they'll take all your records and test reports and go from there. They may want other tests that you haven't had before and they are very good at finding diagnoses that other doctors have either missed or not considered
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Be honest here. Do you think there is something wrong with me?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But ive had so many tests that have come back normal. How woukd i afford to pay the bull from going to Mayo
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well both Mayo and the U of Minn see people with little or no insurance--you'd have to discuss that with them before you went
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think could be wrong with me. I will drop this topic after this
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I still think you have both a major reflux problem and possibly Chron's. Even a nongluten allergic form of celiac. You may even have Zollinger-Ellison syndrome--a gastrinoma tumor in the pancreas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if i haf that stuff what woukd they do for it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's too long a question and a what if question. Briefly, surgery is sometimes needed for reflux and certainly needed for a gastrinoma and Chron's is treated with various medications
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's OK--anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im going ro hang out with my friend, even though its aXXXXX
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Great--have fun and enjoy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her and i had lunch. Talked. And now in heading back home
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
What did you talk about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Random stuff. We havent seen each other in 3 years. So we kinda just talked about what we have been up to
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Why the three years?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because she got into drugs and i got an education
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Had you two at least talked on the phone from time to time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We kept in touch through texting and facebook
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--well, good for you to get out and do something like that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was fun. I dont ever eat at mcdonalds but thats where ahe wanted to eat. Can you gey sick from chicken nuggets?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No unless, like any other food, they have some pathologic bacteria in them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Anything more?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you really strongly not recommend me to take a nap today
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Best way not to have problems sleeping tonight. Or, if you do take a nap, no Restoril tonight
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You told me not to take restoril tonight or tomorrow. I really got like minimal sleep last night
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just emphasizing what I already said. We're starting to chat again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is kind of a dumb question. Do you think that if i would have just cut on sunday i wouldnt have tried the other thing
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Maybe--certainly would have been a better way to deal with things but still no way near the best way. Talk to you later
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do i got to close this page
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If you mean with a rating that's always you're option. Even with a rating the page stays open
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you want to be done talking to me for now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think ill become addicted
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
To what? The restoril? Not unless you take it every night for over two weeks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why is it that you are not to keen on this med
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It's just that any sleeping med should only be used for a few days and that would also apply to Ambien, Lunesta, Halcion, Valium, whatever
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dr who prescibed it said i could use it everyday
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I really don't take that into account and it looks like you're trying to argue with me or at least to get me to tell you every day is OK when it simply isn't
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not trying to argue with you. And im not goinh to take it every night i promise. And im not going to take a handful of them either
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, maybe not on the arguing thing but I see no other reason for you telling me what the doctor said. Anyway, we're spending way too much time on such a simple subject
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i stop feeling depressed
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I've told you that before. Seeing your friend was a good idea. Staying active, exercising, working with others, continue working on the self esteem thing, in other words, fight and don't just sit in the corner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish i could see my therapist
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
He really should be more available to you but I guess that's not how he works
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess not
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Anything more for now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im just really sad
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--just for now and then we need to stop for a while. Sad about what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We dont have to talk about it its fine
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I'll spend a little more time for you but the page is getting long--sad about what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mom figure is making me choose between her and the teens. And shes madder than heck at me for picking the teens. And shes being verbally mean to the teens and it just makes me sad
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Choose between her and the teens?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For example the teens were going to be gone tonight with their friends. So my mom and dad and cousin invited me to go eat with them at the Mexican resturaunt. I said sure. The teens plans changed so they were home. I asked them if theu wanted to go woth (id pay) they said yes. I texted my mom and she said just effong forget about it. I want nothing to do with them. They just ruin everything. Well my mom stopped by and i told her again i wasnt going to go and she rants about how much she hates the teens.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
She's just completely off the deep end right now--best thing to do is just stay away from her for the time being
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im honestly doing the best
I can. But shes being a snot. And the teens are saying im a horrib sister for allowing her to say what she said. Im trying so hard to keep it all together but i just wanna call it quits
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Give me an example of what you say to here when she gets like this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tell her shes being unreasonable. And that its fine if shes miserable but she has no right to take it out on the teens
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And her response?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She usually starts swearing and says something along the lines of cantvyou see how the kids have ruined our relationship
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And where is your dad in all this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just stands there and doesntbsay anything.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, we definitely need to close now but for now stay away from her as much as you can
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If i feel like indid sunday im suppose tomgo to the er right