Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Why cant i just sleep like normal people do

Is this just a recent problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Usually i just would have problems with sleeping once or twice a week. But lately its been every night.
And you don't sleep any during the day?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not usually. On the weekend ill take a nap. On thursday i took a 3 hour nap. But usually i dont
Well, one thing that will help is forcing yourself to stay awake during the day. Usually sleep disturbances like this resolve but they linger if you make up for the lack of sleep with taking naps in the daytime
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I dont nap wgen i dont work. I generally go to bed at 10ish and am up at 430
Not much more to say about the subject--usually this does work itself out in time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you tell me how someone decides if someone has a somatic illness
Not an easy diagnosis to make but basically you have to rule out all the possible causes for the symptoms. Pain can't be quantified so that can be in the mix. Another thing would be symptoms that are described by the patient but can't be verified with the physical exam
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The dr said my stomach pain is somatic
Well in that case you do have clinical evidence that there can be a cause for that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Even my gi dr says he cant find any reason for me to have pain anymore
Well--botXXXXX XXXXXne here, and I believe you when you describe your pain--only you know if the pain is real so it really doesn't matter that the one doctor calls it somatic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Why do you believe me
There really would be no reason for you to tell me about it in a format like this if you didn't actually have it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im glad that someone believes me about it. Do you still think that Mayo clinic is the place to go
Yes--one of the best
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What kind of stuff do you think they will do? The same dr who told me my pain was somatic told me theres ni real point in going to mayo
Well they'll take all your records and test reports and go from there. They may want other tests that you haven't had before and they are very good at finding diagnoses that other doctors have either missed or not considered
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Be honest here. Do you think there is something wrong with me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But ive had so many tests that have come back normal. How woukd i afford to pay the bull from going to Mayo
Well both Mayo and the U of Minn see people with little or no insurance--you'd have to discuss that with them before you went
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What do you think could be wrong with me. I will drop this topic after this
I still think you have both a major reflux problem and possibly Chron's. Even a nongluten allergic form of celiac. You may even have Zollinger-Ellison syndrome--a gastrinoma tumor in the pancreas
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So if i haf that stuff what woukd they do for it
That's too long a question and a what if question. Briefly, surgery is sometimes needed for reflux and certainly needed for a gastrinoma and Chron's is treated with various medications
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's OK--anything else?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im going ro hang out with my friend, even though its aXXXXX
Great--have fun and enjoy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Her and i had lunch. Talked. And now in heading back home
What did you talk about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Random stuff. We havent seen each other in 3 years. So we kinda just talked about what we have been up to
Why the three years?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Because she got into drugs and i got an education
Had you two at least talked on the phone from time to time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We kept in touch through texting and facebook
OK--well, good for you to get out and do something like that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was fun. I dont ever eat at mcdonalds but thats where ahe wanted to eat. Can you gey sick from chicken nuggets?
No unless, like any other food, they have some pathologic bacteria in them
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Anything more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you really strongly not recommend me to take a nap today
Best way not to have problems sleeping tonight. Or, if you do take a nap, no Restoril tonight
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You told me not to take restoril tonight or tomorrow. I really got like minimal sleep last night
Just emphasizing what I already said. We're starting to chat again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is kind of a dumb question. Do you think that if i would have just cut on sunday i wouldnt have tried the other thing
Maybe--certainly would have been a better way to deal with things but still no way near the best way. Talk to you later
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do i got to close this page
If you mean with a rating that's always you're option. Even with a rating the page stays open
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you want to be done talking to me for now
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think ill become addicted
To what? The restoril? Not unless you take it every night for over two weeks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Why is it that you are not to keen on this med
It's just that any sleeping med should only be used for a few days and that would also apply to Ambien, Lunesta, Halcion, Valium, whatever
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The dr who prescibed it said i could use it everyday
I really don't take that into account and it looks like you're trying to argue with me or at least to get me to tell you every day is OK when it simply isn't
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im not trying to argue with you. And im not goinh to take it every night i promise. And im not going to take a handful of them either
Well, maybe not on the arguing thing but I see no other reason for you telling me what the doctor said. Anyway, we're spending way too much time on such a simple subject
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do i stop feeling depressed
I've told you that before. Seeing your friend was a good idea. Staying active, exercising, working with others, continue working on the self esteem thing, in other words, fight and don't just sit in the corner
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I wish i could see my therapist
He really should be more available to you but I guess that's not how he works
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I guess not
Anything more for now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im just really sad
OK--just for now and then we need to stop for a while. Sad about what?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We dont have to talk about it its fine
I'll spend a little more time for you but the page is getting long--sad about what?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My mom figure is making me choose between her and the teens. And shes madder than heck at me for picking the teens. And shes being verbally mean to the teens and it just makes me sad
Choose between her and the teens?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
For example the teens were going to be gone tonight with their friends. So my mom and dad and cousin invited me to go eat with them at the Mexican resturaunt. I said sure. The teens plans changed so they were home. I asked them if theu wanted to go woth (id pay) they said yes. I texted my mom and she said just effong forget about it. I want nothing to do with them. They just ruin everything. Well my mom stopped by and i told her again i wasnt going to go and she rants about how much she hates the teens.
She's just completely off the deep end right now--best thing to do is just stay away from her for the time being
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im honestly doing the best
I can. But shes being a snot. And the teens are saying im a horrib sister for allowing her to say what she said. Im trying so hard to keep it all together but i just wanna call it quits
Give me an example of what you say to here when she gets like this
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tell her shes being unreasonable. And that its fine if shes miserable but she has no right to take it out on the teens
And her response?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She usually starts swearing and says something along the lines of cantvyou see how the kids have ruined our relationship
And where is your dad in all this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He just stands there and doesntbsay anything.
Well, we definitely need to close now but for now stay away from her as much as you can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. If i feel like indid sunday im suppose tomgo to the er right