Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My daughter is 6 years old, more than a year ago she had a

My daughter is 6 years old, more than a year ago she had a few episodes of waking in the night, shivering, saying she was cold, then vomiting once. No other symptoms. Over a month ago the same thing happened. She woke in the night, threw up once, back to sleep, no symptoms. She also did this last night, shivering in her sleep, tossing, turning, sat up said she thought she was going to throw up, threw up then went back to sleep. She has been diagnosed with allergies but had no episodes of coughing when this vomiting occurred. We do not yet know what she is allergic too. She is scheduled to have her tonsils and adenoids out next month due to snoring, heavy mouth breathing. Also the last 2 occasions this happened she ate less than 2 hours before going to bed. She was tested for GERD at age 2 and the test was negative. She is alert when this happens, talks coherently and remembers it in the morning. I do not believe it is a seizure because of this. Talked to her dr, he shows little concern but has not seen her for this issue. My main concern obviously is a tumor, I see no neurological issues, her speech and vision have not changed. She reads well for her age. No problems with walking, not complaining of headaches. What do I do?
Hi--can you tell me what exactly you mean by her shivering in the night?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She shivers, as if she is cold, in fact she says she is cold before being sick to her stomach, but she is not running a fever.

OK--but she also does this in her sleep? When that happens and she wakes up is she ever short of breath?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes she shivers in her sleep, wakes up says she is cold, and that she feels like throwing up, then she vomits once or twice in the bed and will go back to sleep without further incident. There is no shortness of breath.

OK--this doesn't sound at all like a brain tumor or a seizure problem. It sounds for all the world like obstructive sleep apnea and hopefully the removal of her tonsils and adenoids will resolve that. She should have a sleep study for now and again after the operation to document all this. This is obviously worrisome for you but I don't think you have to concern yourself with brain tumors.